Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjustable Landing/Taxi Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable Landing/Taxi Light

I got a hold of a Hi-Lo PAR36 LED landing light and really liked the function. The only housings I could find were heavy rubber ordeals and I thought I could do better. Designing the attach bracket it seemed I would still need to angle the lights separately for taxi and landing, or somehow cram two lights into each wingtip, neither things I really want to do. So I figured I could, for the weight penalty of a hinge and actuator, make the landing light adjustable. I can tie the movement to the Hi-Lo function so in the landing configuration the lights are pointed forward and when flipped to Lo for taxi they can be angled down. Need to figure out exactly what angles are needed so any input there would be helpful.

I took some photos and modeled this up, recreated the wing end and wingtip. I'm trying to push the light as far forward as I can for the best angle but I'm unsure of where exactly the wingtip will lay. Having to push it further aft wouldn't be the worst thing and easy to change. Looking at about 1.1 pounds each light right now but that's missing some nuts and bolts. Thinking a 3-position switch with off in the middle, this will keep the motor from being worked unnecessarily.

This is of course added complexity and cost, something else that can break. Easy to fix or lock out and is little additional weight though. Just an idea until I mock it up, still working the basic design.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Thats's a great idea. Something I considered but I don't need any more side projects to lengthen the build. If my landing lights are not adequate for taxiing I will put a taxi light in the cowl.

Comment

I continue to struggle with what I will use for landing/taxi lights. I really like the AeroLEDS MicroSun Recognition (Wig Wag) lights. https://aeroleds.com/products-microsun/ . But I have no idea where to put them beyond cutting into the leading edge of the wing, which is a no no. Building a motorized wingtip light is beyond my pay grade, but I am fascinated with the concept and attempt. I will watch this thread closely!
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• PaulSA
        PaulSA commented
        Editing a comment
        Rob

I am planning to use the VANS RV14 kit which fits in the leading edge. The profile is not quite right but I intend to fix that by using ratchet straps and a heat gun to fit it to the leading edge. The bracket will probably also need adjustment but that should not be difficult.

I have talked to my AP and we agree that the last bay of the wing is very lightly loaded and with the perspex and the doubler, there is no issue with stress. Also, it's what VANS have approved for the -10 and 14 and plenty of other aircraft do similar.

Fortunately designing things like this is not only what I do for a living but is also an eminently enjoyable hobby. CAD really makes the sheet metal work easier as I can quickly generate flat patterns and print them 1-1. Started with a custom stationary bracket and realized for a just a couple components I could make it adjustable. But yeah this is now project #4 behind rudder trim, cowl flaps, and skylight. Skylight was the most involved so far, though the others haven't been built yet they are pretty simple in design.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
        I continue to struggle with what I will use for landing/taxi lights. I really like the AeroLEDS MicroSun Recognition (Wig Wag) lights. https://aeroleds.com/products-microsun/ . But I have no idea where to put them beyond cutting into the leading edge of the wing, which is a no no. Building a motorized wingtip light is beyond my pay grade, but I am fascinated with the concept and attempt. I will watch this thread closely!
        Here is my Aerosun installation. You can put them in the leading edge, just keep the cut out small and I reinforced it, probably wasn't necessary being so close to the wingtip.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post

Here is my Aerosun installation. You can put them in the leading edge, just keep the cut out small and I reinforced it, probably wasn't necessary being so close to the wingtip.
          I am very interested in what you have done here, Rod. Do you have a write up or document of how you fitted the Aerosum light? Did you fabricate the lens?
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I'd love something as bright as the LEDs I've seen on ACS, but $300+ a bulb just doesn't work for me. I'd like to know how they're doing that too, the light I have has the same number of CREE LEDs, are they just overdriving them?

So my light will be slightly less than half as bright, but almost 1/10th the cost. Also minus built in wig-wag so I'd need a separate controller if that's something I want.
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

Archer39J where did you ever end up on this? Were you able to make it work as you thought? Lights are getting close on my to do list and I really like this idea

Comment

• Archer39J
                Archer39J commented
                Editing a comment
                Haven't made it to the wings yet, but this is still the plan. I was struggling with how to make a bezel to hold the PAR36 light but I think a printed part would be a good solution.
            Working...
            X