Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel tank in front of the spar, ideas on 6 seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank in front of the spar, ideas on 6 seats

hey guys, been reading the old Yahoo group and going through the posts on here. I'm curious if anyone has tried to put the aux tank or main in front of the spar, shaped like the nose ribs.

or a tank in front of the spar plumbed into the main tank...etc..

Would help wth the cg and cargo loading

maybe this has been covered before
    Last edited by way_up_north; 12-07-2018, 04:09 AM.

None that I'm aware of. My biggest concern with that arrangement would be safety in case of impact, whether it be forceful or something as simple as hitting the hangar door or basic hangar rash while moving aircraft. The nice thing about the way we have our fuel systems set up now is the tank(s) are between the spars which are the beefiest part of our wings. In addition, the tanks are separate entities from the rest of the wing, so they have additional layers between the outside world and the actual tank.

Not to say it wouldn't work, though. The Ercoupe tanks were set up that way.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I agree with Chris’s point on impact toughness. I think the main and aux tanks are really good as designed and see more cons than pros with other designs.

I have considered making some aux tanks of similar design as ‘Extended range’ tanks for an RV. I figured I could get 12gal per side and pumps wouldn’t be required.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
        I agree with Chris’s point on impact toughness. I think the main and aux tanks are really good as designed and see more cons than pros with other designs.

I have considered making some aux tanks of similar design as ‘Extended range’ tanks for an RV. I figured I could get 12gal per side and pumps wouldn’t be required.

Well, ain't that something!
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post

Those tanks are a great idea, just take off the wing tip and slide it in....the RV guys have perfected a lot of extras that we can take advantage of. But if I remember correctly those lightning hole tanks do come with precautions of thier own. You have to be careful with spins as, if you have have those tanks full or partially full. Once you start spinning you might not be able to recover due to the fuel running to the outboard end of the wings . Not that you're planing spinning during normal flight...that picture looks like the tank is in the wing tip and through the holes

Last edited by way_up_north; 12-07-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

The wing tip might not have the strength to support a 12 gallon tank and the weight of the fuel. I would certainly run it by Bob before doing this. Mark

Comment

If I flew further then where the std Patrol tanks would take me, I would need a sit down toilet.
              Gerry
              Patrol #30

Comment

PA32 wet wing tanks are in the lead edge....

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Moyle View Post
                  PA32 wet wing tanks are in the lead edge....
                  My thoughts are, if you wanted to do a 6 place and get the cg beast tamed. Putting the fuel in front of the spar would go a long way to doing that.

Not a critique on the design....Bob was not out to design a 6 place aircraft....

Too many planes to list here have thier tanks in front of the spar, including the whole RV line.....

Comment

I went with the Aux tanks and the quick build wings... my CG is an issue because my engine is the heavy case permold Continental IO520 with the Cessna 185 IO520D induction and fuel system. Is 61 pounds heavier than the O-540. So instead of setting the Prop flange at 56-1/2” or 58-1/2” as called for in the plans....I’ve moved my engine back to 54-1/4” ahead of the datum. I’m still not happy with my bed mount and will build another and move the prop flange out to 56-1/2” and mount the battery in the tail someplace to keep the CG from being to far forward.
                    And if I remember correctly...the two dimensions, 56-1/2” and 58-1/2” The Bob had moved the the prop flange out to 58-1/2” some time ago because folks were installing heavy interiors... don’t recall when he moved it back to 56-1/2”. My recommendation is talk to the Bob...

Comment

Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
                      If I flew further then where the std Patrol tanks would take me, I would need a sit down toilet.
                      Gerry
                      Patrol #30
                      ^ This!!

Truth. Better to invest in fuel injection and run lean of peak, far more effective and efficient than adding extra tanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X