Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transponder Antenna Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
    I believe that several have located their transponder antenna between the gear legs. This makes sense in that it gives you a ground plane but I wonder about the gear legs blanking out the antenna signal. Seems that is a more important issue with ADSB now. Also my trans instructions say that the antenna needs to be at least 3' from the trans to avoid RF interference which would require moving it further back.
    Causes no problems for me, have never had an issue getting on Radar or Comms even at long range. Antennas are within a foot of each other.

Comment

I'm looking for a good location for my transponder antenna. I read all the posts in this thread and a few other places. I was going to put the antenna where Bobby Stokes and a few others placed theirs. (see attached) But, I got to thinking (I know., dangerous activity!) about future configurations. I wonder if skis, and especially floats, would blank the antenna? So, a couple of questions. If you have your antenna in the front lower cowl and have floats or skis, any issues with the transponder? For those that have mounted their antenna in the belly somewhere aft of the exhaust tunnel, can you please share a picture of your installation? I've looked in my photo archive and I only found one. It's kinda iffy and I'm not sure exactly where it was placed. Thanks!

Slide95.jpgSlide96.jpg

Comment

I mounted mine under the PAX seat (Patrol). This way I have good separation from the gear and COM aerial. One consideration is the ground plane (which is fairly small for the XP) because I had to place it a bit off center to stay clear of the control tube. I plan on using some copper tape on the short side.

Untitled 4.pngUntitled 5.png
        bearhawk_avionicselectrical_side.jpg
        Attached Files
        Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

Working...
        X