Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reamer size for AN174

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reamer size for AN174

Does anyone know the preferred size of reamer to use with the AN174 close tolerance bolt?

Jared, there are reamers of every .001. I assume you are trying to get a good hole with no play. I would measure the bolt diameter, and get a reamer perhaps .001 bigger. I would fear that if you got a reamer the same diameter as the bolt that you could not get the bolt in. Mark

Comment

Use a micrometer that you have just checked on a gage block. Order a reamer .0005" oversize. McMaster has them in 1/2 thousands increments. https://www.mcmaster.com/reamers If it is a real long bushing that is welded sometimes you have to go a bit larger as the bushing may not be a perfectly straight hole and your bolt may not go in. This was the case for my engine mounting bushings. A reamer will make the hole round but not perfectly straight if the bushing is longer than the reamer.

Comment

The bolts are between 0.2487 inches and 0.2492 inches per the spec, so I'm thinking 0.249, or does it need to be .250?

Comment

With all that information, I'd get the .249” reamer.

Bill

Comment

I’m thinking a .2490 and a .2495 might be required. You can ream to exactly match the bolt. Are these for the wings?

Comment

• jaredyates
              jaredyates commented
              Editing a comment
              Working on trying to tighten up the control stick assembly.

I would get the bolts first and see what you have. Then order the reamer accordingly. Mark

Comment

Working...
            X