Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cooling air plenum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling air plenum

Has anyone used the Vetterman Carbon Fiber cooling air plenum on their 0360 Patrol? It looks interesting but I would be here about some real world experience.

I saw that Clint B had made one for his plane, but is he going into production?

Comment

Mark G brought this up a while ago here on this forum. https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/pro...plenum-for-360

It was in research and development phase when I contacted Clint about it. He hopes to offer a complete kit, but He was offering cylinder wrap arounds for a price and was breaking in his engine with it. Seems an elegant and simple solution to me.
      image2.jpeg
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-06-2019, 01:43 PM.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy View Post
        Has anyone used the Vetterman Carbon Fiber cooling air plenum on their 0360 Patrol? It looks interesting but I would be here about some real world experience.
        Hi Dennis! Are you seeing high CHT's? It's been really warm down here (like 94 OAT!). My CHT's are rarely over 365 in cruise. I'd still like to have more control over Oil temp, but even at the highest OAT's, I'm about 220 OT. I've got the Vans baffle kit, under the standard cowl configuration. I'd have guessed that you guys were enjoying cooler weather and corresponding lower temps.

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill, what MP , RPM and Fuel flow are you running in cruise to see CHT's around 365? We have seen oil temps as high as 220 on a hot day also. Running 23in and 2350 RPM we need to burn 10.5 GPH to keep CHT's in the 375 range. On a cooler day we can get FF down to 9.7. We also have the Vans baffle kit.

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell ya what I'll do; I’ll do a flight at those exact settings and get back to you. That way, we’ll be apples to apples. I recall that y’all had CHT issues, early on, but figured that was past.
            I’ll get back ASAP with a screenshot!

Bill

A bit off point but one thing so can tell you on oil temps, is that after an extensive independent study🤔, the oil temperature on my Patrol is 25f cooler when I run Aeroshell W100plus vs Phillips XC20/50. Changed the oil 3 times during a heatwave to prove it.

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            Mike, am I understanding that Aeroshell 100+ straight mineral 50 wt oil will run cooler?
            Man, if that’s the case, I need a couple of cases!

Bill

Hi Bill, yes but not the aeroshell 100 mineral break in oil. The W100 or W100plus.

Comment

82B4A990-37A3-4EDC-827F-1AEB77DD956B.jpegFull rich.

Finally got a chance to fly. Cloud cover kept OAT down a bit. See pics

Bill
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by Bdflies; 09-09-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Bill, Based on what you are seeing we are seeing similar results. At full rich (your top screen shot) we would be in the 11 to 12 GPH range. D&D

Comment

Working...
              X