Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nose bowl jigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have an early nose bowl it might be worth just biting the bullet and purchasing a new one from Avipro. New ones are nice.
    Been down this path several times and the rework work was more painful and time consuming than estimated.
    Not sure if you have done a full fit up yet and made the cowl sheet metal. What is your engine and exhaust?

Yes 1/8 to 3/16 is a reasonable ball park for the initial sag of the mount.
    The other key is knowing exactly what diameter your spinner skirt will be when installed on the prop flange and the profile is projected back to the nose bowl.
    There are numerous Diameters and needs to match the Nose Bowl to look correct.
    3/8 gap is really the minimum nose bowl to spinner clearance if you plan on off asphalt activities.

Kevin D

KCHD

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Kevin... I have an IO-540 and a Vetterman exhaust. I'll call Mike Meador today and ask him about the fit of the new nosebowls. The amount of extra work to fit this one may not be worth it.

Spinner location is clamped flat between two pieces of plywood, level with the laser. Black line is the joggle location, the laser is lowered, still level with the spinner. YMMV

20220504_222102.jpg20220504_222145.jpg20220504_221432.jpg20220504_221652.jpg

Comment

That all looks consistently familiar.
      had to reglass the entire flange around the joggle to
      get good fit and alignment to the cowl sheet metal correct. Angle of existing flange did not align in plane with cowl. Also needed to bulge out the lower “cheeks “
      so the cowl could be a true conic flat wrap.

Kevin D
      # 272
      KCHD

Comment

Yeah, I'll just order a replacement. I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime!

Comment

• AKKen07
          AKKen07 commented
          Editing a comment
          Paul, did you get a new bowl? If so, How is it? I’m looking at mine wondering if it is a new good one. It will take some work to true out…

• alaskabearhawk
          alaskabearhawk commented
          Editing a comment
          No, never did. Shipping was way too much to make it worthwhile. I fixed it instead. I can't believe that whoever made it thought it was ok. The thing was so far off....I would have been embarrassed to let something like that leave my shop.
      Working...
      X