Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plans Storage and Protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans Storage and Protection?

So I just received my plans (#1582) and I'm curious how other builders keep their plans protected so they hold up throughout the long build process? I'm thinking about sleeving mine in something like this: https://www.amazon.com/UNIQUEPACKING.../dp/B00V1XPDQQ But that doesn't keep them bound togeather.

How do you handle this?
    Joe
    Gaithersburg, MD
    EAA Chapter 524
    Cherokee Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Builder #1582

Yeah I just put them in big sleeves like the link you shared, the thickest plastic I could find. Then I put them in a big manilla folio type of thing, from the art store. The plastic sleeves wipe clean and survived the build just fine.

Comment

I bought this one:

ITOYA 18 inch x 24 inch Original Art Profolio Presentation Book/Portfolio- for Art, Photography, and Documents https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R8XD..._sD5lEbHHGGK8W
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Russellmn
        Russellmn commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I did too!

• keefer66
        keefer66 commented
        Editing a comment
        yup i did what Chris did , works great, but you need to lie it flat or hang it on a rod or something

Thanks all for the feedback!

So I wound up with two things in my cart. First was the ITOYA Profolio Chris linked to and the second item was qty 2 of Itoya Poly Glass Pages (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AHXTSM/). It'll take two packs which makes it about twice the cost of the profolio. I'm leaning towards the Pages right now. Here's my thinking:
      • I can use a couple binder rings to keep the plans together and in order.
      • Plans can be orient such that two adjacent pages are visible together or so that a single page is visible to save bench space.
      • Binder rings will make it easy to remove pages that are needed for current projects while keeping the unneeded ones safely stored away.
      Clearly i'm overthinking this!

Joe
      Gaithersburg, MD
      EAA Chapter 524
      Cherokee Driver

Comment

I did the same as Chris. Worked great and is what I'd do again.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

This is how I did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TqgxL8kn3k&t=7s

Comment

For mine, I also am using the Itoya profolio, with a shop copy of plans from Barrows. That way, no matter what happens in the shop, I have a pristine set of plans.

Comment

This worked very well for me. Art presentation folio with sleeves, flips along the long axis of the print for easy viewing.

Comment

Wow, all high tech compared to me. I use a file folder for the parts I'm currently working on and the rest live in the supplied plastic jacket they came in. I did buy an updated set since I had bought my Patrol plans in 2002. The coffee stains and scribbles are part of the education.

Comment

Well appreciate all the feedback, seams like the group likes the folio. Ever the deviant I am (not) I went with the individual pages I linked to above and used 4 binder rings to keep everything together. My initial work space is going to be fairly tight so being able to fold it over on itself was strongly desired. Time will tell how it holds up.
                  Joe
                  Gaithersburg, MD
                  EAA Chapter 524
                  Cherokee Driver

Comment

I did absolutely nothing to protect them. My drawings are beat up, torn along the fold lines and covered in cutting oil, paint, mud, blood and beer. They look well used, as shop drawings should. Just the way I like them. If I need replacment sheets, thats what Bob is for.
                    Gerry
                    Patrol #30

Comment

Working...
                    X