Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealant for prop governor and case bolt threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealant for prop governor and case bolt threads

My prop governor mentioned using sealant on the gasket where it mounts to the engine. Since it is engine oil I was going to use Permatex The Right Stuff unless there is a product that is specified, which the instructions on my governor did not mention.

The other thing I noticed was there is some type of thread sealant on the case halve bolts. It doesn't seem like Loctite. Any idea what the normal sealant is on the case bolts? I have a Bob 540.

Loctite 515 or equivalent would be my choice.

Comment

The gasket is meant to be the sealer? That sounds like belts and braces but I guess they know their business...

We didn't use any sealant on our PCU5000X and it has been fine for most of the decade.

Comment

My governor instructions (Jihostroj) just said to coat the gasket with engine oil.
        Dave B.
        Plane Grips Co.
        www.planegrips.com

Comment

I will check again but i am pretty sure the instructions said sealant. But like Battson said I am not sure it needs it either. Heavy machined flange, heavy machined governor face and a thick gasket with 4 bolts.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the jihostroj(same exact thing as the PCU5000) says to put sealant on the threads. I'm fairly sure I used permatex. Should be in the install manual of whatever governor you have.

Comment

Working...
            X