Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't everyone doing the Hoerner wing tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made some as a side project. Bearhawk builder Graham Johnson showed me how he did his and loaned me his Hotwire and rib templates to cut the mould from polystyrene. It was relatively straightforward and the results were very pleasing.
    Last edited by Nev; 06-28-2023, 08:37 PM.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post
      .... the results were very pleasing.
      Can you tell us more about the results? Before - after.....Are they on your aircraft right now for good?
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post

Can you tell us more about the results? Before - after.....Are they on your aircraft right now for good?
        I can't find where I posted about it previously, but the thread HERE gives a good overview about how to cut the moulds. The main benefits for me were a much better fit than the factory wingtips, lightweight, and athletically pleasing. I believe I saw perhaps a 1 knot reduction in stall speed.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post

I can't find where I posted about it previously, but the thread HERE gives a good overview about how to cut the moulds. The main benefits for me were a much better fit than the factory wingtips, lightweight, and athletically pleasing. I believe I saw perhaps a 1 knot reduction in stall speed.
          That post provided the info I used to make mine. Mswain references a video that I found helpful in visualizing the whole process. My tips took me a full 3 months to make. I consider it time well spent, am very happy with them, think they look great, will never know how much they improve performance. I originally bought the tips referenced in Beartracks. Just didn't like the shape, knew they would be draggy, sold them to another builder.
          Last edited by rodsmith; 07-03-2023, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X