Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prop flange bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop flange bushings

I brought my engine and prop into the same room for the first time today and noticed one of the prop hub bolt faces didn't seem to have an indent for the crank flanges like the rest did (bottom right bolt in the bottom pic). The crank, for its part, has four protruding bolt flanges and two that will probably not protrude once I install the starter gear ring. Is this OK to use as is or do I need to replace another crank flange so that they are all matched perfectly?

Also, aft of my used spinner bulkhead is something labeled as a "dampening ring" attached with several bolts with springs underneath (label in the left of bottom picture is affixed to said ring). Is this necessary or can it go?

Engine: O-540 A1D5 with a recent factory reman. Prop is a HC-C2YR-1BF with 80" blades because thats what I can afford now (I welcome commentson this too). Thanks all.

Nic

20200919_060722.jpg20200919_060512.jpg

Attached Files
    Last edited by nichzimmerman; 09-19-2020, 09:17 PM.

Could you post which prop and engine you are working on? I believe differences in the prop flanges are for clocking purposes. The prop clocked in one of two positions 180 degrees from each other.
    Scott Ahrens
    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

• nichzimmerman
      nichzimmerman commented
      Editing a comment
      wow...can't believe I forgot that. I edited the original post with that info.

It's supposed to be like that and you just have to clock it right to make it fit.

Comment

The dampener ring is on there because you have the A1 designation engine without the counterweights on the crankshaft. You have to have one or the other when you use the modern "compact hub" Hartzell. Mark

Comment

Bob tore down my engine to inspect it and said it already had 801 counterweight (I asked him to install them if not). So does that mean I can get rid of that ring? Its HEAVY.

I read in the Hartzell 115N manual that an R hub could be used on a K crank flange, so we should be good there.

Comment

Wow. That is EXACTLY the engine and prop combo I have ! When I had the engine overhauled I had them put the counterweights in. (And those are the colours the airplane will be painted. Shouldn't be hard to spot in the air...)

Engine and Prop.jpg

-------------------
          Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
          Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
          RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• JimParker256
            JimParker256 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's going to look pretty nice! I've seen some RANS S-7s and S-20's painted in similar colors (along with some white) and they really "pop" in the air and on the ground.
            Here's a link to one that is similar to what I'm talking about, but with grey (at the bottom of the page): https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...roQjRx6BAgAEAc
            Last edited by JimParker256; 09-23-2020, 10:19 AM.
        Working...
        X