Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iridium spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iridium spark plugs

Does anyone have experience with these ? Is there a performance or longevity increase commensurate with the price increase?
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

I thought about it. But the BR8ES I run(I assume you're running the same if you're talking about iridium?) are like $2 each. I just throw them away every annual and spend the $24. The iridium cost 4x as much... I mean, I'm sure they'd last 4 years and more, but I just don't see any problem they're solving.
    Last edited by zkelley2; 05-08-2021, 05:10 AM.

Comment

I'm considering going the iridium route one day. But it's probably too late now, I have a small fortune in my Tempest fine wires...

I hear Light Speed makes a quality adapter for auto plug conversions. https://lightspeed-aero.com/Products/Sparkplugs.htm.

Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I haven't done any scientific comparison, I chose the iridium because even though they are more expensive than the regular plugs, they are still cheap compared to aviation plugs. My other reasons are: with the fine wire they don't catch any lead, they supposedly provide better ignition (again, I haven't done any testing) and in cars they last for a ridiculously long time. I don't know how long they last in my Lycoming. I change them every other annual. Most people change the regular plugs every annual. I clean and inspect mine one year and change them the next year. I truly doubt there is a noticeable performance difference so I wouldn't bother trying to do a comparison. For me the main advantage is the reduced likelihood of lead fouling.

I do tend to spend extra money on my plane for things that are supposed to be better for a little extra peace of mind when operating over hostile terrain and in and out of strips that offer little or no options if your engine quits at a critical time.
      Rollie VanDorn
      Findlay, OH
      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Working...
      X