Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabric fuselage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric fuselage

I've got 1/2 the fuselage covered. I've done no shrinking yet. I received a recommendation not glue the fabric to the top stringer. The thought is that we want the fabric to be able to move and slide without pulling the stringer to either side.

It seems to me that a number of Builders have used a fuselage former for fabric attachment, but I probably mis-understood. Stewarts System procedures manual specifically allows this with a 1 inch overlap and the seam covered with a 2" finishing tape. However, my application may not be wise. The stringer is Aluminum stringer material l that all the kits come with....strong but not like steel tubing.

At this point I have options and curious what the more experienced builders recommend.

65543322610__54F9710E-7BAA-4073-A685-ACF239EE116F.png

Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I avoided using the stringer as an overlap/glued structure to avoid the possible distortion of the stringer. The fabric pulls really hard. I missed this in another location and the fabric moved an aluminum piece that caused me some trouble later.
    Almost flying!

Comment

Fwiw...I used the stringer for a wrap around seam and a 1 inch overlap. Just shrink left righ left right slowly and evenly..do NOTshrink first side too much initially or it will pull stringer over and it will NOTcome back
      if u need to shrink first side to smooth out a bit before other side for smoother overlap be careful.. it will work out OK for you if u go back and forth carefully..again...fwiw. good.luck

Comment

I would agree with Gary's post. Just shrink a little at a time, both sides. For the sides the fabric I am using says don't glue to the stringers until you shrink the fabric. After you shrink the fabric, then apply heat to the fabric/glue/stringers. Worked for me, and I used much less stiff wood stringers.

Comment

Thanks!!

I did some more research and I found two other Patrol's that were covered this way. I also got a favorable reply from an A&P/Stewarts fabric Guru/instructor. SO, I'll move hahah with caution. If I let the fabric speak to me.... I'll drum the fabric and listen for the tones.

Getting ready to cover the fuselage. Per the Poly Fiber book, seams which are not sewn need to be over "structure" like a longeron. Their example
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

We did ours the way you are doing it. With careful shrinking there was no problem. Only difference in ours is that we used a single piece of fabric to the top of the vertical stab which does not affect the stringer question at all.

Comment

Working...
            X