Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimming rear baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming rear baffles

I am trying to get the rear baffles from the Van's kit to fit better against the engine case. There is curvature in the case. Is it best to trim the rear baffles to there is just a small overlap against the top edge of the engine case? 1/4 or 1/2 inch? Use some rubber baffle seal to seal the junction?

Might need a picture to be sure but if it is the spot I'm thinking of, I had a gap small enough to seal with a bead of high temp rtv.

Comment

Looking at the Vans rear baffle support, it doesn't like an overlap, at least in the center of the case. It looks like the center of the rear baffles needs to not overlap the top of the case.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah trim away, just don't overdo it! Draw a line first and trim proud of the line. Then use RTV to seal it up and prevent vibration wear.

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I got it finally.. Easier to install now as well.

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        The fit of the side baffles was so good, I was wondering what I was doing wrong the on the rear baffles. After looking at lots of online pics, it looks like the shape of the rear engine case varies. I ended up using a small overlap for most of the rear baffle, and flush in a few places where it was required. Fits good now, and far easier to install and remove.
    Working...
    X