Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleveland/ABI wheel and brake installation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland/ABI wheel and brake installation questions

I spent several days mocking up my brake torque plates (ABI calls them anchor plates) on the gear leg flanges, then mustered up the courage to drill the flanges (4 x AN5 for double puck with BIG tires.) That all went splendidly, torque plates went on without a hitch and I didn't even have to grind any washers or nuts to get my AN5 fasteners on behind the flange. I currently have plain old un-torqued AN316 on there at the moment for dry assembly. Will be using MS21042 high temp locknuts in final assembly.

My issue is the caliper to disc relationship. Per the ABI assembly instructions for the 199-62, (page 21) I oriented the torque plate shoulder (is that the term?) inward toward the wheel hub (outward from the aircraft), which oriented the long side of the torque plate anchor bolt hole away from the aircraft. The anchor bolts from the caliper won't reach the torque plates.

I've used the stock Avipro axle spacer that comes with the QB kit, which according to the Avipro assembly manual may not be long enough? It's only mentioned that they are optimal for the 199-60. Anyone else with 199-62 wheel and brake kit experience this? If I moved the wheel and the disc outward on the axle, it would certainly allow the caliper to fit. What I'm concerned about in that scenario though is not having enough axle to get my axles nuts on.

The other option is to orient the torque plate (flip it over) so that the shoulder is pointed in toward the aircraft, putting the anchor bolts holes within reach. I'm not totally positive that it will fit on the gear leg flange like that (might not be large enough diameter to wrap over the edges), but it's one solution.

BTW the new Alaska Airframes/ABI 199-62 kit is identical to the Cleveland, in case anyone was confused by that. I'll attached some photos shortly.

Thanks,
    Zane

Upon inspection it looks like just flipping over the torque plate will work. It's tough lifting this sucker up when I'm the only one here.

Comment

Flipping them over worked a charm. File under "dumb questions."

Comment

Looking good! Just about have my shop ready to return to working on mine, been since May.
        Mark J

Comment

Happy to find this post. Started mounting the calipers tonight and all my questions are answered here. Thanks Z.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I love how the certifiable gear has a dozen page document for install instructions, disclaimer, limited warranty, release notes, change control, three-view drawings, (... Gregorian calendar? Who knows what they include!) Whereas the EXP stuff has a one-sided leaflet and a sticker saying "have fun". Both are equally easy / hard to install.

Comment

Working...
            X