Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drain Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Holes

I am almost done with covering the empennage and need to add drain holes before I seal all of it with Ekobond. Of course, the answer is to put them where water would collect, but I was wondering if anyone had photos of where they put theirs. I'm planning small round doilies to reinforce the holes per the manual. Thoughts and photos appreciated!

For the surfaces only two holes . They also act as vents allowing evaporation. Then nothing is trapped.

Comment

FWIW, this is how I made the doilies: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=292877&row=37

Are you talking about the end of the fuselage where the tail wheel mounts?

Comment

• Mark Dickens
        Mark Dickens commented
        Editing a comment
        No, just the tail feathers for now. I figure I'll just melt a hole back there when I get to that. I was more curious as to where everyone put their holes, but I think I have it sorted now

A soldering iron makes a neat hole.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Mark Dickens
        Mark Dickens commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, that's what I'll use!

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        The polyfiber video shows following the soldering iron with a sharpened pencil while the hole is still hot. It makes it even neater.

• Mark Dickens
        Mark Dickens commented
        Editing a comment
        Jared, I saw an earlier post where you point out that putting the holes in the trailing edge through the fabric overlap and tapes also meets the requirement for reinforcement. That's precisely what I'm going to do, along with the pencil trick.
    Working...
    X