Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Antenna Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Antenna Location

I am currently trying to find a good placement for a WAAS GPS antenna (Garmin GA 35 connected to a GNX 375). I have seen some of you mount it behind the skylight ( robcaldwell), others close to the wing root ( Nev ) . Garmin also has a curious diagram in the G3X docs for under fabric mounting.

Under fabric mounting would be nice but this seems to contradict many of Garmin's other recommendations (don't paint, mount close to front of the wing, 16" diameter ground plane)

Behind the skylight requires probably the most work and results in an antenna tilted backwards and to the side (on the Patrol at least).

On the wing is probably easiest and probably results in the best performance. Aerodynamically this is probably not the best.

Would love to hear what you think about the various options? Nev are you happy with your location?

underfabric.jpg
    behindskylight.jpg
    onwing.jpg

Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

I have mine mounted on top behind the cabin area between the stringers and while I haven't flown yet, I am 100% confident that it's a great location. On my RV-8, I have my GPS antenna for my GTN-650 mounted under the cowl and behind the engine, and it has never failed me. You can't do that with the bearhawk of course. Any of the locations you mentioned are going to be fine.

Comment

Nev are you happy with your location?
      Yes, it was relatively easy to install. I can access it if required via the lower fuel tank cover. It's been flawless since installation.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Under the lexan skylight works fine- I have the ga-35 mounted to the spar carry-thru tubes using only 2 adel clamps near left side. No issues.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers. It's been my experience that GPS works quite reliable even with suboptimal antenna placement. Then again you want it to work in the most adversarial conditions because this may be when you need it the most.

I will probably place mine on the wing.
          Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

Working...
          X