Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lycoming O360 takeoff rpm constant speed prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lycoming O360 takeoff rpm constant speed prop

I have a concerned fellow pilot...I landed at his strip a few times and he has told my dad to tell me I am way over revving my O360 on take off. I have a hartzellv8475 prop which I would expect makes back lot of noise due to tip speeds. I am turning 2720 max on takeoff. This is how I set it up due to what I have read. This is all new to me. 2700 max rpm on the O360. Any input is appreciated. Thanks all. Gary

84” prop

I bet you get off short
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Is this a fixed pitch or constant speed prop? If it's the latter, did you set the fine stop yet? Here is a calculator to see how fast the tips are going. Most noise complaints come from being too close to supersonic, but it doesn't look like you are there at 2700 and 84"?
      Warp Drive propellers tip speed calculator finds speed of sound, propeller tip speed using prop diameter, RPM and temperature

Comment

It is a constant speed and I set fine pitch stops at about 2640 static on ground tied up

Comment

Thanks for that...looks like about .88 Mach.. seems good to me? I think I'm in good shape??
          Last edited by Gary Wallace; 08-17-2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

2720 is perfect! 2700 is redline and you want to be at redline with the prop all in. 20rpm is well within range. A previous BH I flew had a Bob build O360 and he said I could turn it up to 2800 if I wanted which I prolly did.
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thank you...I was confident in my research and set up but again this is all new to me ,,, glad to hear I'm doing alright...really enjoying the performance compared to my 140!

Comment

Mark's Patrol turns 2710 typically on takeoff roll, and performs well.

pb

Comment

Working...
                X