Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 place Rudder pedal, brake pedal angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 place Rudder pedal, brake pedal angles

Have a number of hours on the 4 place bearhawk. First question is...when you are braking during landing, are your heels still on the floor or are they above the floor. My current set up is terrible, and I need to make a change. As it is now, I believe my toe brakes are too far rearward..towards rear of plane compared to rudder pedals. I find I need to lift my heels off the floor and somewhat awkwardly have my toes almost straight up..or possibly rearward..I will confirm this soon. With heels off floor and angle of my ankles, it seems very difficult to feel what I'm doing and where I'm at ..with rudder pedals and toe brakes. I am sure I need to get the toe brakes toward the firewall more, and hopefully reach toe brakes with heals on floor by just sliding heels towards firewall. So...if rudder pedals are in neutral position, what kind of angle do you have with a straight edge down toe brakes to rudder pedals to floor? Are yours consistent with angle shown from side view on drawing 27? I will have another look at mine but certain that my toe brakes are more rearward than this drawing shows. My masters are as short as I can go at this point as far as adjusting, but I believe I do need to change that angle...and last again, are peoples heels on floor when braking..I would expect so. Thanks

I found a short thread that answers my question.....thanks yes I am going to make some changes.

Comment

Gary, I had the same questions early on. I do have to raise my feet slightly (heels off the floor) to get toes on the brakes fully but it's not an issue. With heels on the floor my toes do still reach the brakes, just not so much.
      Also, I changed the brake pedal default position to angle the pedals toward the firewall slightly, so that if I slide my feet up, my toes no longer have to bend rearward. I wanted to be able to push on the rudder pedals without pressing the brakes on.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

It would depend how long your feet are!

As a rule, I suggest you don't want your feet dragging on the floor during landing. Yes, I agree you can't feel what's happening - but you want to look outside and respond to what's happening out the front.

Part of my pre-landing checklist is feet up on the brakes, ready, and not on the floor. I never like it either, as it is comfortable on the floor, and less "touchy" - it's easier to stabilize my feet on the floor. But you don't want that during landing, you want fast feet.

Otherwise, one day you'll find out why feet dragging on the floor during landing (or taxi) is a bad idea...
        Last edited by Battson; 11-06-2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys....I will remember the feet dragging caution. Made my changes today on brake steel parts and painted. Install likely Tuesday and get the new feel

Comment

Working...
          X