Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail lights?

Thinking I would like to have a rear facing strobe of some sort on the Patrol I will be building, e.g. AeroLed Suntail Led strobe. Any thoughts or considerations when adding mounting tabs to the rudder frame for mounting the light? Open to any other ideas or thoughts - Thanks!

Dave

Consider Whelen as well, for combination wingtip strobe, position lights, they were considerably cheaper than Aeroled. I haven't looked at their tail strobe units. For mounting usually a section of the tubing is replaced with a ring welded into place that the tail light nests into. The fabric is glued to the ring and when shrunk sort of streamlines the installation.
    Last edited by rodsmith; 05-11-2023, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Why not go to the 3-in-1 wingtip lights? The are legal for night flight and eliminate wiring to the tail section.
      N678C
      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what I installed. I have no lights on my tail

• AKKen07
        AKKen07 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto the combo light

Originally posted by Utah-Jay View Post
      Why not go to the 3-in-1 wingtip lights? The are legal for night flight and eliminate wiring to the tail section.
      Had the AeroLed NSP 3-in-1 on the wingtips on my Zenith. Great unit, bright strobes and position lights but the view from the rear at a distance left something to desire. It was minimally eye-catching if at all. Always had a bit of concern of getting overrun or being spotted by another aircraft approaching from the rear. Also had two AeroLed MicroSun units mounted to my wing strut attach points. When set to wigwag they were very visible from the ground and air a couple of miles out. They were also good enough for night taxi movement, but not really good enough for night landing as far as illuminating enough runway ahead during the final approach, roundout and iniital rollout.
      Last edited by DBeaulieu; 05-11-2023, 12:17 PM.

Comment

"...For mounting usually a section of the tubing is replaced with a ring welded into place that the tail light nests into...."

Thanks, I was wondering how I would approach the mounting!

Comment

Here's what we did.
          Attached Files

Comment

• DBeaulieu
            DBeaulieu commented
            Editing a comment
            Appreciate the pic, definitely helps fill my clue bag!
        Working...
        X