Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk 5

Does anyone know if the BH5 wings are identical to the BH4B ? Is there any change to the structure or materials ?
    Is the BH5 rated at the same 4.5G limit ?
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

The Model 5 wing has a .040 spar WEB. The Model B has the .032 web as shown on the plans. Mark

Comment

Who thinks Nev should build a Model 5 so we can watch?

Or are you just wondering if you could put different wings on
      N678C
      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• kestrel
        kestrel commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll watch!

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
      The Model 5 wing has a .040 spar WEB. The Model B has the .032 web as shown on the plans. Mark
      Is this a recent change or just on the factory built spars? My BH5 plans show a .032 web thickness.

image.png​
      Bill Duncan
      Troy, Idaho
      Bearhawk Five Scratchbuild - Plans #5053
      N53BD - reserved
      Builders-Log

Comment

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        What is the G limit on the front page of the plans ?

• triumphantduke
        triumphantduke commented
        Editing a comment
        first page model 5 shows: +4.5/-2.5

Originally posted by Utah-Jay View Post
      Who thinks Nev should build a Model 5 so we can watch?

Or are you just wondering if you could put different wings on
      Haha. It's very tempting and it does look like a good aircraft. I'm curious to know what the air frame and wings weigh by themselves, compared to the BH4B. Obviously it will be a bit more, but maybe not much. The longer fuselage might increase the yaw stability, and having a bit more shoulder room is never a bad thing (Heck on the Boeings we had about 3ft between shoulders and that was still too close ).

I was also wondering then if the aircraft could be built for a very similar weight as a 4B, by using say an IO540. Is there a CG issue with using a smaller 4 cylinder engine, say an IO390, and using it as a 4 seater ?
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I understand Colin's first BH5 is lighter than many Bearhawk 4-Place / Bravo aircraft, at around 1450 lbs. So it can be done.

I guess you have to be religious about the weight savings to achieve that, Colin is a master.

Comment

• flashf16
          flashf16 commented
          Editing a comment
          FWIW the prototype Mod 5 empty weight is 1512, and Collins second Mod 5 came in at 1597.

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if it had the interior installed before the W&B. Some of the photos appear to show it without one.

• kestrel
          kestrel commented
          Editing a comment
          The prototype had a very sparse interior. You were looking at the fuselage tube and inside of the outer fabric when inside it.

.I apologize for posting wrong answer to Nev's question. We did use .040 for the spar webs on ONE set of Model 5 wings that was for a special purpose plane. But the normal Model 5 wings are identical to the Model B 4 place wings. At the kit factory we do always use the one piece, milled (out of .250 plate) cap strips for all Modell 5 wings. And not always do that on the Model B wings. But the plans are the same and the wings are normally identical. Mark

Comment

• Redneckmech
          Redneckmech commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for that clarification Mark, I was completely re-thinking the .032 spars I just cut.

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
        .I apologize for posting wrong answer to Nev's question. We did use .040 for the spar webs on ONE set of Model 5 wings that was for a special purpose plane. But the normal Model 5 wings are identical to the Model B 4 place wings. At the kit factory we do always use the one piece, milled (out of .250 plate) cap strips for all Modell 5 wings. And not always do that on the Model B wings. But the plans are the same and the wings are normally identical. Mark
        That hurts the potential entertainment of watching Nev build a Model 5
        N678C
        https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
        Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Working...
        X