Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What flies like a Bearhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What flies like a Bearhawk

I got lucky, just stupid lucky, and got a hangar at my local airport so I can finish my project locally. I also need to get a BFR and tailwheel rating. I do plan to try to do conversion training with Jared, but beyond that, what flies like a BH? Lots of local places do TW training in various aircraft. What comes closest?

Thanks.

Any tailwheel is better than any nosewheel. Being off of the centerline can be a good thing, but time in something like a Citabria is still better than nothing. What are your options?

Comment

My perspective on how to make a good tailwheel pilot.

Not sure what types you have to choose from but if available…. Do your initial training in a Tiger Moth. You will learn to fly properly keeping straight without brakes. Then transition to a Pitts Special, that will highlight any deficiencies in your technique and keep you honest. Neither of these types have flaps so you learn to slip properly too.

In my experience any other tailwheel aircraft you fly after that will be straight forward.

Having said that I would highly recommend doing some on type Bearhawk training before you begin phase 1 testing. I think the Bearhawk is as benign a taildragger as I’ve flown but you can’t beat good preparation in the event that something unforeseen occurs.

Comment

• kestrel
        kestrel commented
        Editing a comment
        You are saying to start by jumping into the deep end of the pool?

Start with a Cub, Champ, Citabria or any of the other typical tailwheel trainers. Then, I'll 2nd Bissetg. Get some Bearhawk time and go fly w/Jared. As you will be a low time tailwheel pilot, do not attempt phase 1 without it. To get a head start on flying off-center and in a heavier aircraft before flying with Jared, any of C-170, C-180 or Maule.

Comment

A Tiger Moth isn’t exactly the deep end of the pool. It was the abinitio trainer for the commonwealth forces for donkeys years.

A problem I’ve seen with students is over using brakes because they are not using their feet enough. A Tiger Moth doesn’t give you that option.

Comment

IMO, A Luscombe model 8 is a great place to start. You’re sitting off center, stick in the left hand, throttle in the right hand, and the flight and ground handling characteristics are pretty similar. I think the BH flies and drives like a heavy Luscombe.

I can’t find the quote now but Budd Davidson said the Luscombe is probably the best certified trainer for a BH. Wish I could find the quote so I could remember his reasoning.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks to all. I think there are 170, Supercub, Citabria, Luscombe options within driving distance.

Comment

All good options and with some time with Jared prior to the big day I’m sure you will be comfortable in your Bearhawk. Keep us informed of progress.

Comment

Working...
              X