Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registration name requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration name requirements

Is it a requirement to use the builders actual name when the airworthiness certificate is issued? i see a lot of homebuilts with the maker listed as the builder. if i put it in an LLC, can i list the LLC name as the builder? would like to avoid putting my name on it if possible. any ideas?

On the 8130 form, it seems i can list a corporation name as the registered owner, and i have to list the full names of the builders below that. which one prints on the certificate?

thanks
    Last edited by arborite; 07-15-2023, 06:28 AM.

Below is a photo out of my EAA guide to certifying a home built that says you can use an Llc. I would check with the EAA to see if the principal builder can get a Repairman's Certificate for that aircraft if the Registration does not show him as the builder.
    Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 10.16.19 AM.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Brooks. I have that one, but i’m curious if it’s OK to put the LLC name on the data plate, too. Has anyone done this? The reg attached states the data plate has to contain the builders name. can a corporation be a builder? that is the case for certified planes. IMG_0597.jpg
      Last edited by arborite; 07-15-2023, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Not sure how you would get to the correct person, but probably a question for the FAA. Try calling EAA and ask for someone that can help with registration questions. I used to have a name and number but can't find it.

Comment

but please come back and share what you have learned! I'm interested in the outcome for myself too -- the when's and where's for the LLC name placement vs the named builder

Comment

so far, two people on supercub.org have direct experience with using a corporate entity as the registered builder. others say it has to be a human. i will do more research at OSH next week. i would prefer not to have my name on the data plate and airworthiness cert if possible.

Comment

This is one of those things where the opinion that matters most is that if the person doing the paperwork. Might ask around with the DARs to see what they say.

Comment

Yes, that’s the plan. the purpose of asking others, though, is to understand if there is any precedent before i engage the authorities. our FSDO has a good reputation among local mechanics, but i want to go in informed.

a third RV builder just posted he has two experimental both built by his LLC and documented as such, so it has been done.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                  This is one of those things where the opinion that matters most is that if the person doing the paperwork. Might ask around with the DARs to see what they say.
                  I have had the same issue. Wanted to put an LLC on it and was told no, had to be a person. Later, the FSDO said it can be an LLC.

Comment

Did some research at OSH this year on this. first talked to the EAA tech people. they said it could be done and had been, but didn’t know details. the one week wonder planes usually built at OSH did not have the name of the main builder on it. talked to another amateur serial builder. he also puts an LLC name on his data plates and A/W certs.

So I took a deep breath and went to the FAA people. got bounced around a bit among legal people and registration people. finally got to the right guy. He said that yes, it is fine for an E-AB plane to be built in an LLC with the name of the LLC on the data plate and the airworthiness certificate application. The registration will also be the same name initially, but that can change if the plane is sold to another person/ entity.

so yes, it can be done.

Comment

thank you for drilling down into it!

Comment

Originally posted by arborite View Post
                        Did some research at OSH this year on this. first talked to the EAA tech people. they said it could be done and had been, but didn’t know details. the one week wonder planes usually built at OSH did not have the name of the main builder on it. talked to another amateur serial builder. he also puts an LLC name on his data plates and A/W certs.

So I took a deep breath and went to the FAA people. got bounced around a bit among legal people and registration people. finally got to the right guy. He said that yes, it is fine for an E-AB plane to be built in an LLC with the name of the LLC on the data plate and the airworthiness certificate application. The registration will also be the same name initially, but that can change if the plane is sold to another person/ entity.

so yes, it can be done.
                        Is there any difficulty in getting a Repairman's Certificate if its manufactured by an LLC?
                        Brooks Cone
                        Southeast Michigan
                        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

The form listing the names of the builders is a separate form. That one is where you list the individual builder name(s). The FSDO has to make the determination of who qualifies for the repairman certificate, so if your build logs show you as doing the work, they should accept that. i did not ask that question specifically to the FAA guy, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X