Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max Zero Fuel Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Zero Fuel Weight

Hello. Everyone:

we are moving along with the build of a model B,

have just finished the avionics install and planning paint next.

Hope to have first flight late 2023.

I am just starting to set up a profile in ForeFlight and am stumped on what to set as the “Maximum Zero Fuel Weight

I did a quick search on the forum and was not able to find an answer.

Thanks for any and all suggestions
    Dan Dagasso

I would take your max gross 2500, subtract the weight of full fuel (probably around 330) and enter that. In this example it would be 2170. That way, if you attempt to tell it that you have loaded more than 2170, it will warn you that you are probably over gross if you fill the tanks. Another strategy would be to figure out your personal minimum takeoff fuel, say 20 gallons or whatever, and subtract that from 2500; in any case, if you aren't planning to use the weight and balance feature, I doubt it matters.

Comment

Thanks Jared, that makes sense

i will need to book some time with you this fall as well before first flight

please shoot me an email sometime so we can start to set this up

hope to get some bearhawk training within a month of my first flight

ddagasso@gmail.com

Dano

Comment

Another strategy would be to figure out your personal minimum takeoff fuel, say 20 gallons or whatever, and subtract that from 2500; in any case, if you aren't planning to use the weight and balance feature, I doubt it matters.
        If you were to use Jared's suggestion of 2500lbs minus your minimum fuel it would work well. That way you can still take four adults and bags by reducing the fuel load.

There's also a handy W&B spreadsheet HERE if you'd like one for your iPhone. It's configured for a Model B and can be customised.
        Last edited by Nev; 07-29-2023, 02:43 PM.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post

If you were to use Jared's suggestion of 2500lbs minus your minimum fuel it would work well. That way you can still take four adults and bags by reducing the fuel load.

There's also a handy W&B spreadsheet HERE if you'd like one for your iPhone. It's configured for a Model B and can be customised.
          Thanks Nev, appreciate it

Dano

Comment

The Definition of MZFW is the Maximum Weight of the airframe with zero useable fuel on board.

Because Carrying fuel in the wings stresses the airframe less than carrying equal weight in the fuselage, most large aircraft have a MZFW limitation.

I never saw a small aircraft publish a MZFW limitation and Bob did not place a MZFW limit on our airframes.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Brooks,

not sure that this is a new data point in foreflight as I have not had to use it when setting up previous aircraft profiles….

your explanation seems to match what I have come to understand

​​​​​​​Dano

Comment

The answer is there is no MZFW for the bearhawk. Or.. 2500lbs is the MZFW.

Comment

Sounds like it's an issue in Foreflight unless the MZFW feature can be overridden.
                  Nev Bailey
                  Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                  YouTube - Build and flying channel
                  Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
                  X