Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elevator alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elevator alignment

When I assembled my elevators, I first aligned the bellcranks, then match-drilled them. I later realized that the elevators were not exactly aligned due to one of the bellcranks being slightly offset by a few degrees. At the time I was able to resolve most of it during rigging, but over time I realize that this is not optimal (the issue is still present) and I would like to resolve it.

So, any ideas on how best to proceed would be gratefully accepted.

I've considered :
    - cutting and re-welding one bellcrank. Probably difficult due to close proximity to the fabric.
    - aligning the elevators on a bench, then re-drilling the bellcrank holes to an AN4 size. This will require ensuring that the structure is not compromised by enlarging the holes.

Thoughts ?

ECC25055-D243-4D43-B7DD-5847C4E28113.jpg

Last edited by Nev; 08-23-2023, 04:10 PM.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

I know it isn't easy due to the geography but I think you are into Bob territory when considering hole size changes on such important parts.

Comment

I'd call Bob. I'm thinking he might advise you to close up the hole using a welding torch then redrill. But I'd call Bob before doing that.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually that's a very good idea.

Thanks guys - yep been trying to call Bob regarding the holes but haven't got through yet.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I’d bet that Bob is going to suggest welding the holes and re drilling. It’s pretty straightforward and would be a good way to go for peace of mind. Be aware that the welded area will likely be pretty hard so take you time when drilling.

I’d take a look at the edge distance standards and if you can meet them with the hole drilled to the next size then I wouldn’t be worried about it. With properly torqued bolts there won’t be a shear load at the bolt to tear through the material but meeting the edge distance specs give a good backup if the bolts loosen.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I talked to Bob a couple of days ago and he was leaving for a few days. Try again first of the week.
          Lee
          Patrol QB #312
          Buchanan Airfield
          Concord, CA

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Lee.
        Working...
        X