Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strut fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strut fluid

Just got my kit and am planning out first steps, including what else i need to buy. Looking at the strut assembly instructions, the recommended fluid for the struts is ATF. There are a lot of variations of ATF (Dexron 3, Dexron 6, Mercon), and a whole host of automotive OEM specific ones with special modifiers. Properties of each vary quite a bit. I already have MIL spec 5606 hydraulic fluid which is used everywhere in most GA aircraft. comparing specs, it is different from Dexron 3 but within the range of other ATF blends. the base fluid of 5606 is similar i think and is less prone to sludge formation over time. the ATF variants have a lot of modifiers for transmission performance, which is quite different from our struts.

Is anyone using 5606 or the new non flammable replacement? those using ATF, which one are you using? the viscosity of 5606 is a bit lower at our working temps compared to Dex3, so i’m thinking that might change damping characteristics. I will use 5606 in the brake system as per spec, so though it may be convenient to use a common fluid in the struts.

thoughts, suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

I used 5606 in both.

Comment

I used Mobile 1 ATF in struts and brakes. Has worked fine.

Comment

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        Plus 1 for that.
    Working...
    X