Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot cowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot cowling

I am trying to fab the boot cowling top piece between the instrument panel and firewall. In the manual they talk about the instrument panel being at a 90 to a line from the top of the panel to firewall. That would make it more then 8-10 degrees of tilt?

Do the tabs or angle pieces on the firewall and instrument panel get bend to allow the top piece to sit flat between the two points?

Thanks.
    Travis M
    Kentucky
    Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
    Received December 2022

I haven't gotten there yet, but I was planning to put flutes in the firewall angle as needed to allow the boot cowl to fit nicely. I'm interested to hear what other people have done.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
      David Swartzendruber commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to clarify, the flutes would allow the angle to be bent to match the angle of the boot cowl.

I removed the firewall flange, reworked it and riveted it back on.

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

When we set up the boot cowl work at the factory, we set the instrument panels at 10 degrees tilt. That is a builder preference thing however. . Mark

Comment

I finally understood the question. I set my panel at 8 deg, but you can set it at what you want. At the time I chose to rework the flange instead of doing flutes. There are a number of nut plates that are riveted to the firewall flange. At the time I had no idea where they would best fit, but it’s a 99.999% certainty that at least two places around the perimeter where I put a flute would be the the spot where I would want to put a nut plate!

Comment

Thanks for the examples. I made it to the shop this evening and was able to make the needed bends in the flange to get the right angles. I added a few very light flutes to keep the flange from buckling. I also checked my tilt and was right now 10 degrees.
          Travis
          Travis M
          Kentucky
          Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
          Received December 2022

Comment

Working...
          X