Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q about the openings in fabric that hinges go through on control surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about the openings in fabric that hinges go through on control surfaces

This occurred to me yesterday-----

Due to the hinge design (working on ruder now-) they have to come through fabric. I watched Colby's video where he covers with oratex.
    He made a thin aluminum back up plate to glue the fabric to that looks like a 3 sided frame. That looks fine for what it does. But my thought was that
    these opening leave the space on the inside of the rudder open to rainwater. Is everybody just leaving those holes open ?

Seems like it could be possible to take some really thin steel sheet and box that in and weld or braze or tiny metal screw it in place and wrap the covering there. That would only leave the post exposed where the hinge is.

Is anyone going to that trouble ?

Tim

You will likely be puttting "drain" holes in the fabric to allow for air exchange and condensation outlet within the fabric covered flight controls...

Comment

Yes--- I assumed that anyway-----

Comment

No need to close them up, and it would be hard to do. Moisture in the form of condensation gets in anyways, so what's a little rain now and then. All these surfaces need effective drainage - any one of the OEM covering system manuals will explain how they do it.

Do think about how you're going to grease the area, and clean away used grease which gets pushed out the sides of the hinges. You don't want used brown grease streaming down the fabric.

Comment

use lubriplate- It doesn't run. doesn't freeze. it is used on the control hinges of high altitude aircraft. Rather have grease to wipe than rusty streaks.
          (IMO)
          I understand about drain holes. I just don't see need of getting more water in there than i have to.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            Water getting in is a non-issue, operationally. I have never had to think about it, ever. Ultimately, it's the whole completion vs perfection discission. Totally a personal choice at the end of the day.
        Working...
        X