Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is getting close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is getting close?

Lets talk about the final stretch. I could use some wisdom and the talk might inspire the group.

It seems to me like we have several folks on this forum who have been building for a long time who are getting very close to completion. I wonder if Completions are contagious and if Alaska Bearhawk got it all started? Interstate Al is getting real close to flying an LSA. Rodsmith? Svyolo? Are there any others?

I'm starting to run out of things to do too. My fuselage is still at my home workshop. It getting buttoned up. I hope that Arborite and I will transport it to Ann Arbor Municipal next week. The wings are already there.

I don't really know when to start reaching out to the FAA or a DAR to talk about the inspection. Maybe we could talk about items on the final stretch. I'm a real slow builder. I'll do the final assembly, weigh it, perform the fuel flow test, see if it will start when I can. At my rate of building there is No way it will be done by Bob's Picnic....darn.
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-14-2024, 07:56 PM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

HI Brooks, It is my impression from what I have seen of others and what I have read that the DAR is called in just before your first test flight. I worked with the guys that build the patriot bush plane here in Alabama and I was there when they delivered one of their aircraft to the customer. The DAR did his inspection after the airplane was completely built with all the inspections panels removed and just before the first test flight. Of course that may depend on the DAR. I would recommend you contact the DAR you intend to use and talk to him about it. I have already been in contact with the DAR I intend to use. They seem to be a group of very friendly people and eager to help.
    Last edited by davzLSA; 09-14-2024, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Brooks, I’m nowhere near close (3 years into a 3 year project, with 3 years to go). I did just read a great article by Paul Dye in Kitplanes about the final steps including Registration and DAR visit:
      What you need to get your airplane’s experimental airworthiness certificate.

Comment

Registration process took 4 weeks, sending in the application for airworthiness in a couple of days. Training with Jared in under 2 weeks. Gettin there.

Comment

90% done

90% to go

N678C
          https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
          Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

My goal is to fly before the end of the year, but that depends on the plane being ready and myself being ready. I think that is a conservative goal. Brooks, do you have the registration/airworthiness package from EAA? If not contact Tim Hoversten at EAA headquarters 920-426-6846. I've probably misplaced it already, but he pointed me to a website to look up DARs in your state/area.. Who knew there were different kinds of DARs, you obviously need one that can inspect single reciprocating engine amateur built aircraft. Don't be afraid to shop around I found over a 100% difference in prices quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dpearson View Post
              Hi Brooks, I’m nowhere near close (3 years into a 3 year project, with 3 years to go). I did just read a great article by Paul Dye in Kitplanes about the final steps including Registration and DAR visit:
              You prompted me to re-read it. Thanks! My takeaway this time.....it might be time to call the FAA and start the conversation.

svyolo: Awesome update.

Rod: your post resonates with me.
              -Get the plane ready.
              -Get me ready.
              -I've got the aircraft registered with the FAA.
              -I've got the EAA's package and used it for the above task. I will re-read and incorporate it into my task list.
              -DAR's or the FAA. Paul Johnston here on the forum built a Patrol from a kit and used the FAA for his inspection and was very pleased. I will follow his lead for now and see if they have man power to inspect it. If not we'll get a DAR.

It seems like DAR's strength is in performing a safety inspection task. That may not be the FAA's strength. I also talked yesterday with LSA builder Arborite. He has real good A&P/IA contactsf for a final safety inspection. I kind of like the idea of separating the safety inspection from the certification process. A relationship with our best local maintainers who are very detail oriented can help me grow and improve my maintenance skills and my craft. Any way this thing turns out, I'll hire Arborites contacts for their guidance. It priceless what I think I can learn from a professional with wrenching of small GA aircraft over multiple decades.

Back to getting the plane and me ready. I have had no GA activity since I started building and have understood the risk all along. My focus needs to be on getting it airworthy, reliable, and certificated. About 6 months ago I decided to just keep working on the plane, predicting that I'll run out of tasks but not be ready for the inspection. Thats the time to go get myself ready to fly. I started to put that part in place by making contacts, but still have not run out of things to do yet.

So I build on.
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Had I had any idea it would have taken this long I would have bought a Luscombe or similar to get a bunch of time. I did get a TW rating last month, and have training with Jared scheduled next week. I really would like to fly it myself first, but I need to be comfortable in a TW first. A couple of local instructors offered to do the first couple of flights with me. Depending on my comfort level, I may take them up on it. 50/50.

A local chapter member in Arlington WA had the FAA do the inspection. 3 guys, 3 hours, he said they were very thorough and it was a pleasant experience. I will probably use a DAR in Oregon. He flies a beautiful RV-7 around and inpects homebuilts.

Airplane ready, just making improvements. Me ready?????????? We will see. Hopefully the weather is good next week.

Comment

I purchased the EAA package detailing steps to finishing ones airplane from a paperwork standpoint as well as flight test procedures for those first flights. I attended their seminar at Oshkosh which was really good and that inspired this purchase. The kits contains lots of hints about what not to do when filling out FAA paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                  X