Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video: custom IO-390 Bearhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: custom IO-390 Bearhawk

I noticed this video of the Bearhawk built by Robbie Staton, N56219, which was subsequently modified for a new engine (I believe IO-390 unless my memory is letting me down) with customised cowling and spring aluminium gear.

Very cool.

Did he raise the threshold of the door 2" for the seaplane doors? I've been looking at ways to do those doors and that seems like the best option to me.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Yeah I think the sills must have been raised.

I was really keen for that mod, but post-build I have lost all enthusiasm.

It looks like the hinges are attached to the wing skin. I would have reused the existing hinges, personally. Although those sea plane doors do look a lot heavier.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, very nice Bearhawk!
        Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

Comment

Man, he really made some amazing changes to his aircraft. Looks good though and thanks for the video. A little constructive criticism on the video: the wide-angle of the camera lens was a bit annoying and it was hard (for me anyway) to get a good sense of scale of of his mods.

Comment

I would like to know more about those doors! Amazing work!
            Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
            Project Plans #1299
            N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
              Very cool.

Did he raise the threshold of the door 2" for the seaplane doors? I've been looking at ways to do those doors and that seems like the best option to me.

My plan has been to construct the door with just enough of a notch so it clears the strut, then build up the door sill only in that spot, so that the step over into the foot well isn't higher. We'll see. It might just be easier to raise the entire bottom door sill.

Comment

I thought about doing that Z but from what I could remember that spot where the sill would be raised is right where you need to swing your feet in. Only reason to go through the the trouble of building the notch would be to make it easier to get in but if your still have to lift your feet over the raised still then what is gained?
                Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Battson the plane at the top of this thread is my plane now .The one I keep asking questions about. Totally surprised to track down an original video of it!

Comment

• Battson
                    Battson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, how about that!
                Working...
                X