Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the *smallest* engine I can get away with on a Bearhawk LSA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too am looking at the aeromomentum option really hard. Im tired of paying the stc lawyers who never get paid for certified parts. Even if you use an 0-200 under the experimental category, you’re still stuck paying for a certified jug and components. Although they are very proven, engine technology is far too advanced to keep paying for over priced parts. ... just my humble opinion of course.

Comment

Ever considered a corvair engine? It is a good replacement for the o200 and much cheaper. Just saying. You can get a new engine of 100HP for the price of an o200 crank and cylinders.

Comment

If you are interested check out this web site https://flycorvair.net/

Comment

Will the Corvair swing the same diameter prop as an O-200? I like the idea.

I talked to a couple of the guys at Aeromomentum last week. Seemed like really bright guys. I asked how many engines they had in airboats. They said 200, but the market dried up. They said the number of airboats sold went way up for a while because of Duck Dynasty. LOL.

The Corsair option would really tempt me.

Comment

• davzLSA
            davzLSA commented
            Editing a comment
            the prop im going to use is a 68 inch warp drive. that is the optimum prop for this engine air frame combo

I have studied the corvair and know some folks using one in a Zenith cruiser. I also know a guy that has been using the suzuki engines in his gyroplanes. Of course he swears by them and knows the engines inside and out. I was pretty skeptical when he first started telling me about them but after watching him use them, and learning more about the engines, im really leaning that way. I still have some research to do before I pull the trigger though. I will say if anyone goes with the corvair, be sure to purchase the crank from mr Wynne. I think that’s the way you spell his name.

Comment

• davzLSA
            davzLSA commented
            Editing a comment
            All the prats of my engine are William Wynne parts I bought from him through Sport Performance Aviation, I also test ran it at a finishing school that Fly Corvair put on. The colleges are great and you get a good sense of the kind of support you would get if you were to go with WW, he has been in business for a long time and has developed the Corvair Engine to a very high state of a flight engine. He has developed these parts and tested them on flying airplanes.

The Panther kit builders are split about 50-50 between those who use a Lycoming O-320 and those who use a Corvair modified per Mr. Wynne's plans. They highly recommend the "Corvair College" he puts on 2-3 times a year. If you're gonna go with the Corvair option, I would recommend that route.
          Jim Parker
          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I understand the desire to use automotive engines but consider: 1) a gearbox or reduction unit is usually required and 2) the engine has to operate at rpm's and power output on a continuous basis that they were not designed for. Even a big company like Rotax took at least 10yrs after the 912 was introduced to get the bugs worked out of the gearbox, and that was a purpose built engine and gearbox combination.

the Corvair is at least a direct drive installation and a purpose built crank is available. It may turn a little bit too fast to be optimal for the LSA. The cont. A65 is pretty old, but you know what you are getting. the O-200 is a pretty good power bump for not much weight.

With respect to technology, my ECI engine has light weight accessories, electronic mags and a nice fuel injection system. Maybe for a large displacement, low speed air cooled, direct drive engine, operating in a narrow rpm band, 60 yr old tech is still pretty good.

Comment

I am planning to use an a65 continental to start with. My reasons are this...
              1 I already own one with a good metal prop that is not worth much to sell and a strong runner.

2The mounts are the same as the c85 so a swap later on is pretty simple.

I also have dreams of a small auto diesel conversion. Probably a vw with a mechanical pump.

I should mention I am in Canada so I can build up to 1500lbs gross. I live in flat land and don't need screaming performance. I was drawn to the lsa more for the efficiency than the performance.

I also like the corvair and think it is a very good option.

I have heard weight and balance can be an issue with too light an engine. Maybe someone who knows will comment on their c of g details.

Comment

Well I revisited the Corvair info I had and looked up the new parts they have now. I have to say the new crank that they are producing is sure nice. Im really leaning back to the 3 liter. I must say it is a great problem to have as a home builder to have so many good options. Not so very long ago, it wasn’t that way.

Comment

• davzLSA
                  davzLSA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Cameron, the weight and balance issue for a light corvair engine has been addressed by Bob and William Wynne, William worked with Bob to design an engine mount specifically for the LSA. William sells them through Sport Performance Aviation. My engine is a 3L type. There are pictures of it in my postings of you want to see it. Davzlsa.

Were you the one that bod designed the engine mount for and you wrote the article? If you are, why did bob design a 1 degree down thrust in the engine mount? Is that what the plans call for? I don’t have my lsa plans yet.

Comment

Hi Cameron, No im just a builder who is using the Corviar engine, William Wynne and Bob got together on the engine mount design, William is the Corvair guy. He had been developing that engine for about 25 years and knows them really well. When Bob came out with the LSA William saw that it was a good match for the Corvair. Check out Williams web site fi you want to read about it. https://flycorvair.net/ there are a lot of interesting articles on the engine there and also the story on how the engine mount came about. I believe it is actually a 2 degree slant downward.Here is the link to the story about the engine mount https://flycorvair.net/?s=bearhawk+mount it also explains the downward slant.

Comment

Working...
                  X