Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSA140 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! Thanks for sharing these design changes you are making, explaining why, and showing your process.

Comment

• lsa140
      lsa140 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man, much appreciated. I've been dreaming of doing this for many years, its enjoyable to share the process.

I switched from a gas lens setup to a standard #5 cup with a short back cap for the tight spaces. 1/16" sharp tungsten. I was expecting oxidized welds with such a small cup, and very limited electrode extension. Surprisingly, the welds were coming out silver, and I was able to get quite a bit of electrode protrusion for the tight corners.

Added the last piece of tubing to the tail spring attach area, and welded it. Time to build a rotisserie.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by lsa140; 03-31-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I have a C-85 in my C140, and it's got some gumption! Also flew a local PA-11 with a C-90 in it. Amazing how nice they are.
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Finished up the tail side of the rotisserie. The multiple telescoping tubes provides a long range of adjustment. I picked up a couple 1/2" barrel nuts and built my own u-joints. I need some additional washers and bolts to final assemble the joint. For now I will be grabbing onto the tail post with some u-bolts covered in rubber tubing. Later in the process a 7/8" piece of tubing will slide into the tail spring socket and mount to the u-joint plate.
        This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Nice idea with the barrel nuts!

Comment

• lsa140
            lsa140 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I thought about going to the wrecking yard or buying a steering shaft with a couple u-joints. If it was going to be used in a production shop, that would have been the best route. It was enjoyable to figure out how to build some with standard hardware and materials.

The fuselage mounted on the finished rotisserie. The small scaffolding casters lock in roll and rotate. It rolls across small lips and gravel easily. A set bolt on either end locks the fuselage in rotation. Time for some welding.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Welded the tail post, and continued working forward. I was reminded again how much more difficult 028 is to weld. Especially when welding to thicker wall tubing. In theory you keep more of your heat on the thicker tube, and let the puddle wick over into the thinner tube. Easy to do sitting at a table, a whole different challenge when attempting gymnastics to reach a weld cluster on a fuselage. The pulsing box I purchased for my Diversion TIG really helped tackle the 028 tubing. I don't feel like it is needed on 035, but it really helps with the thinner wall.

I'm dealing with residual oil inside some of the tubing. It is left over from the manufacturing process. It slowly worked its way down several of the vertical side tubes and covered the lower clusters. I finish weld the upper cluster at a station, then use a fine stainless wire brush dipped in acetone to clean up with tacks/oil. Also, grinding down the tacks help them assimilate into the weld.

Preheat with a trigger start propane torch, on a 12' hose, attached to a 20lb propane tank. It works well, and is easier to move around than a torch with a bottle attached.

I had to adjust my welding after getting used to 035. It works well to keep the weld beads a little narrower. Use plenty of filler, its easy to undercut 028, and that is the last thing you want on such a thin piece of tubing.

I was getting very frustrated after a couple hours of dealing with oil, thin tubing, and trying to get in a good positions to weld the tight tail area. Took some deep breaths, enjoyed some spring air outside, and came back to it with a little more patience. This is really challenging, but very enjoyable.
            This gallery has 9 photos.
            Last edited by lsa140; 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
              Chris In Milwaukee commented
              Editing a comment
              Fabulous quality work! Thanks for sharing your experience.

• lsa140
              lsa140 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Chris, and to you as well. It's been great to be able to follow allow with your wing build. I'm ready to take a fresh go at it this morning. I find some time away from the project in the evening helps bring what needs to happen next into better focus.

• Bdflies
              Bdflies commented
              Editing a comment
              You guys inspire me!

I really enjoy reading your posts and looking at the pictures.
            Have you weighed the fuselage? I'm curious how it compares to the cub types.
            When I'm welding thin to thick, and the thin wants to try to burn away, I "build bridges" between the two pieces, i.e. Put a tack weld every 1/8" or so along the weld that your having trouble with. When you come back over its the final time, the tendency to burn away is greatly reduced. Seems to work for me, your mileage may vary.

Comment

Thats Clint, I haven't weighed the fuselage yet. Do you have a weight from your C-90 cub build? Comparing the tubing, the LSA and cub use very similar sizes/wall thickness. The LSA uses 3/4x028 upper longerons. I almost switched over to 035, but my tubing kit already had the 028 bent and notched. The bearhawk line has more structure above the cabin. There is an upper truss structure that runs from the rear baggage to the tubes that run down in front of the door/firewall. The rear fuselage is also full height, unlike the cub fuselage which tapers down behind the rear spar carry through and relies on formers to continue the fuselage shape back to the tail. I'm guess the LSA would be very close in weight, but possibly slightly heavier due to the extra tubing.

Thanks for the welding tip! The bridges would act as little heat sinks as well. I took a TIG welding course at the community college during high school, and hadn't picked one up for 18 years. I definitely feel my limited experience when going from welding in convenient positions to inside an airframe. Being able to see where my electrode is at, and what it is doing to the metal is a real challenge in some of those tight corners. Worked on refining my welding lense/glasses setup yesterday, we will see how things go today.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                " I'm guess the LSA would be very close in weight, but possibly slightly heavier due to the extra tubing." At Oshkosh once Bob took me to see a bare Cub fuselage and commented how many more pieces of tubing the Cub had as opposed to the Patrol. I seem to recall 30% more individual pieces of
                tubing on the Cub than the Patrol. So I was surprised to read your comment. Mark

• lsa140
                lsa140 commented
                Editing a comment
                That was just guess on the amount of tubing, I wouldn't doubt the actual part count is less. Do you have the weight of a factory LSA fuselage with paint? I'm actually really pleased with the structure, it seams very robust. Many other LSA tube and fabric designs use smaller tubing. The fact that Bob built his plane within 120 lbs or so of a Zenair 701 is amazing. They use thin aluminum, short wings, and a very light rotax engine. Very impressive.

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Our booth is next to Vans Aircraft at OSH. The weight difference is not great between the all aluminum RV12 (with Rotax/short wings etc) compared to the BH LSA with steel tube structure and O200. MG

If I remember correctly, mine weighed 98 lbs and that was with some of the Alaska mods.
              A friend of mine built a javron cub and powdercoated and stringers installed, it weighed 104 lbs.
              I'm really surprised that people are still building Cubs with the stringer setup the way it is, as its really nothing more than an evolution of the Taylor E-2 which was practically a parasol. The top longeron like the bearhawk uses is much stronger and much easier to weld.

Comment

• lsa140
                lsa140 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll weigh my fuselage when it comes out of the rotisserie. It will still have a lot of fittings and structure to add, but it will be good to get a weight. I'm keeping close track of additional weight that has been added. I've always wondered why Piper built the supercub that way, didn't realize it was an evolution of a parasol design.

Being patient with the 028 wall is worth it. Hard to tell the difference when you pick up a long length of 028 over a piece of 035 the same size but when you weigh a finished part that's when you realize the wt savings. Good looking work and progress. Having built all the Patrol weldments from scratch I know how hard you've worked.

Comment

Finally got everything dialed in for welding the difficult to reach thinner tubing located at station G-K. As I move forward in the fuselage there is a lot more room to work. A big thank you to dedgemon for sharing the Servore auto darkening goggles from Amazon in one of his threads. http://amzn.com/B00LKWLSS0 I removed the ear pieces from my glasses, cut two small slits in the face gasket rubber, and slipped them into place. They stay put, and are far enough forward to not contact my face. The goggles with face mask are much easier to get into tight spaces, but dont flip up like a helment. I found that a very bright LED headland allows me to keep the goggles on, easily get in position, and inspect the weld without removing them. I have a lightweight head sock that seams to keep the arc from burning my face. The goggles are highly recommended. Once in a while tubes will block both light sensors, and you will get a mild flash. Again, this wont be an issue further forward in the fuselage.

I swapped out the #8 pyrex cup for a #6 ceramic cup using the same gas lense. This allowed for plenty of electrode extention, better clearance in tight joints, and the funneled shape of the cup provided better coverage with less gas flow for this type of welding.

A small stainless wire brush, dipped into a container of acetone, continues to work well to remove oil and contaminates. After it quickly evaporates, I hit the joint with a quick propane torch preheat.

The cluster shown bellow was covered in oil, but it cleaned up well with the method above, and welded nicely. I dealt with a little contamination, but it was doable. Being able to see well, having the right torch setup, and keeping the weld beads smaller/heat lower worked well for the 028. Welds should improve as I get some more time welding, and move forward into roomier parts of the fuselage.
                Last edited by lsa140; 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
                  Chris In Milwaukee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm intrigued by TIG and the weld quality that can be achieved. Looking forward to seeing how your already good welds improve as you move up.

I'll be working with OA, most likely. But could be talked into TIG pretty easily,

• lsa140
                  lsa140 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, I moved up, but I dont know if they improved... I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I completely agree with the recommendation to use OA. For most people, that would be the best choice. That being said, I'm really enjoying the TIG. I'll be ready to weld a fuselage by the time I'm done with this one

• lsa140
                  lsa140 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately the Servore auto darkening goggles started flickering on and off, even in full view of the arc. I tried changing the batteries, and adjusting every possible setting. They worked great for a week, and then all of a sudden started having issues. I'm out of the tail section, and have more room to work, so these will be getting sent back.

I recieved my axles from Aircraft Spruce, and the 1-1/4 x 16TPI threading die/handle from ebay on friday. I wasn't sure what kind of quality could be had on 4130 with a threading die, but it turned out very nice. A 1-1/4" was drilled in a small 2x4 and slide over the axle. I placed a spring clamp under the block to provide a little resistance, but still allow the block to slide down the axle as threading progressed. The block kept the die completely square for the initial thread cut. After the threads were started, and die traveling properly, I pushed the block down the axle. This allowed the chips to fall clear of the operation. I went slow, cleared often, and used plenty of cutting oil. The threads are very smooth. I'll do a little cleanup where the threads stop, cut the retaining pin slot, and polish things a little. You can see from the photo bellow how much finer the 16tpi over the 12tpi. I plan on getting a lathe down the road, but am trying to keep focused on building.
                Last edited by lsa140; 04-18-2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Bdflies
                  Bdflies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I read of your plan to use a die, I wondered how you'd keep it square to the tube. Very crafty solution!

Bill

• lsa140
                  lsa140 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Bill, I didn't expect it to go as smoothly as it did.

Here is the setup I'm using for preheat. I've been warming up the clusters, and out each tube a short distance outwards.

The welding is going well. Finished through station F-L.

This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Here is what I came up with to grind a radius. Many parts on the Bearhawk have an outer radius centered on a hole. This modification to my folding grinder rest lets me quickly grind a very nice round edge. The rest surface can be adjusted with two slotted bolts to accomodate different radius. After the radius is ground, the rest is folded down, and the edge gets a quick dressing to get all of the grind marks running with the part, and a slight bevel put on the edge. The holes will be reamed to .190 for an AN3 bolt. This is a quick video demonstrating it in action: https://youtu.be/mTV_VlAlT0Q

I used some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to lightly tack down a part template. It was cut out on the band saw, center punched, drilled, ground, and the template pealed off. A little acetone to remove the adhesive. It went quick, and worked well. I will be using this method for many of the flat parts.
                This gallery has 5 photos.
                Last edited by lsa140; 04-19-2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X