Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys, I remember when I first started my build. I was frustrated with the plans of the control system. There were no pictures of the complete system. So after a lot of head scratching and talking to everyone I could find that had built an LSA I finally figured it out. I think the thing that would have helped me the most and relieved a lot of head scratching would have been some good pictures of the system from front to back. I have made some pictures of my build and the rear part of the control system in particular to share. Also here are the pictures of my alternative trim control system. I had a lot of friction in that system but I fixed that today. It seems that the torque tubes going though belcrank must be perfectly aligned. Otherwise if they are forced into the belcrank misaligned it will create lots of friction.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 14 photos.
    Last edited by davzLSA; 01-20-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by davzLSA View Post
      Hi Bill, the 2 coils are wired to the 2 sets of points, the output of the coils go through a passive coil switch. So which ever set of points you have voltage switched to is the one that fires its coil.
      You mention a "PASSIVE COIL SWITCH". I understand the principal, but for the life of me and my "google-foo", I can not locate an example. If you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

FYI...this comment is from post #14 in 2017 on page #1 of this thread.........I'm a little behind the times...lol
      Last edited by MitchG; 01-20-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8210 here is the coil switch

Comment

• Thank you!

Comment

• Hi Guys, I have some progress to report. I have finished fabricating my control column with bearings, it works very smoothly now. That was the second time I rebuilt it. I have the trim system tuned in so that it works smoothly now. I now have the stringers on now. I have a lot of pictures for this. The reason is that the plans show very little information on how they go on. So I think mine are on per the way Mark's LSA appears. I visited him in January and got a lot of pictures and measurements. I was also able to get a good look at how the rear windows were attached. The bottom of the rear window frames are attached to the top side stringer and there is an angel that runs along the top of the rear window frame which is not shown in the plans. In my pictures you can see where I have it test fitted. I will need to weld more tabs to attach the angle and parts of the frame. I bought the rear window frames from Mark and have not trimmed them yet so they are longer than the will be after installation.Comments and questions welcomed
            This gallery has 16 photos.

Comment

• Hi Guys, More progress today. I got the back window frames attached. The plans show very little in the way of detail on this. I have documented the way I attached them with a little help from looking at Marks, LSA. The flat side of the frames faces the side of the fuse. I had to weld on tabs to attach the top angel and drilled the bottom of the frame to the top stringer. I also got all the stringers drilled to the cleats. All this info would have been nice to have starting out but I guess this is why I consider this build a journey not a destination. As usual comment and questions welcomed.
              This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Dave

I attached mine in a similar fashion.

When I covered the plane, the fabric wanted to roll the bottom of the window frame outward when I shrank it. I added a support bracket(angle off the stringer to an Adel clamp) on the diagonal tube that runs through the window area that tied into the stringer/frame.

You might want to weld on a tab to this diagonal that ties into the bottom of the window frame/stringer

Comment

• hey Brad thanks for that advise I will do that. Mark was telling me also that some guys needed to open up the space between the frame pieces to be able to insert the fabric and the plexi glass. Did you need to do that or did the fabric shrinking take care of that; or does shrinking fabric just pull whole frame over?
                  Last edited by davzLSA; 02-25-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Dave

I didn't have any problems putting in the plexi.after the fabric was in place.

Of course I don't know if my "joggle" is the same as what you have. I made my joggles using a typical Harbor Freight bead roller I had "upgraded".

It is best to put the two halves of each frame together with countersunk rivets with the flush head on the outside. I put mine together with the rivet tail on the outside and it just barely touches the fabric so can be seen as small bumps on the outside of the plane.

Comment

• Hey Brad, I bought my frames from Mark and they are made the same is yours. The flush head of the rivets are facing the fuse like yours.I already have the frames fitted so I think Ill just leave them as they are.

Comment

• Dave

Just take a close look that the rivet tails aren't proud of the outside of the frame. If they are, you might want to squeeze them a bit more.

Comment

• Hey Guys,I worked on my cabin door today. I have decided to skin it with aluminum and it will have a door handle. So I had to make 2 former's 1 for the front of the door and 1 for the rear of the door.. Ill have pictures when I get done.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have some progress to report. I got my door finished and hung today. I also refitted my windows, I first built them in 2016. I put them in today and did not like the way they fit.So I completely rebuilt one of them and changed the position of the hinges on both of them. I've been working on this thing since 2015 so it seem like as I get more practice (5 years) I notice things that could be done better. Here are the pics. Hope yall like them.
                            This gallery has 10 photos.
                            Last edited by davzLSA; 03-05-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I got winders now. Check em out. Next up im going to bolt a plywood firewall to the front of the fuse and spot all the stuff that goes on the firewall, then transfer all that to the stainless steel firewall. Stay tuned.
                              This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• hey guys, I thought I would bolt on my wheels and engine and all the other stuff that would be in my way so i could spot all the other stuff that goes on the firewall. I hope y'all like the pix.
                                This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

• interstate al
                                  interstate al commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Looking good Dave!

• Frank
                                  Frank commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Can't wait to hear that engine!
                              Working...
                              X