Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +1 on that!
    Dave if your friend is paying such close attention to your welds, would it make sense if he watches you while you are actually in the act of creating a puddle and seeing what that puddle does? That's really where the weld is determined is it not?
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

• davzLSA
      davzLSA commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mark, Well the jury is in on my fuse and its dead. So here is the plan for now. I will learn how to weld properly and to aviation standards. One of the biggest problems with my welds was that they were too oxidized. They would have corroded from the inside out. My friend will be putting on a welding workshop and I will attend. Then I will practice welding clusters and send them to him for evaluation. And when he decides I have mastered the weld then I will start again on a new fuselage. As I said my friend suggested I just buy a factory fuselage but I want to learn to weld to aviation standard. For me its not about building the airplane its about improving Dave and learning new skills are what I consider improving myself. And besides the EAA ethos is Learn, Build and Fly. That is what Im trying to achieve here.

• Here ya go, guys...

Please note that the tiny black dots all over everything are NOT corrosion. My next door neighbor has been cutting and burning trees for several months now, and I gave up wiping everything down until he's finished... No matter what I do, everything in the garage (cars, airplane kit components, etc.) gets covered in tiny black ash and soot. Drives me crazy, but he's almost done. (At least I hope he's done!)
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    Patrol Quick-Build Serial # P312

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      They do an excellent job at the factory and a lot of people believe gas welding a fuselage leaves it in the best condition, the heat providing natural stress relief.

• davzLSA
      davzLSA commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim I think Ill get these pics blown up to poster size and put them up in my shop for inspiration.

• davzLSA
      davzLSA commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jim, can you get some good pictures of your gear leg attach points, Id like to see how the factory welded them on, the plans are not very clear on that either.

• I love those factory welds, but if you think about it, if you could weld 8 hours a day 5 days a week how good could you get?

Comment

• JimParker256
      JimParker256 commented
      Editing a comment
      Kind of exactly the point. Those guys at the factory in Mexico get more practice every day than I could in a week. I trust their work a LOT more than mine – even if the "instructor" says mine is "good enough". It's my wife, kids, and grandkids that will be flying with me... They do darn good work!

• Welding is like a lot of trades/sklls. Watching one whose really good, it looks really easy... Until the unskilled one gives it a try. A while back, I had a concrete slab formed and poured. I watched the crew, in awe. They worked efficiently and quietly. No fuss, no muss. In no time they had the 30x50 slab floated and finished. I'm overwhelmed when I mix a sack of Quickcrete! That's hard work! Those guys were good at their trade!
    You don't need to spend hundreds of hours welding (although that helps). Get somebody who has spent hundreds of hours welding to give you some tips and tricks. Then refine what you've learned.

Bill

Comment

• davzLSA
      davzLSA commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Bill, basically that is my plan. Im going back down to Florida on my next stretch of off days from work and get some good one on one instruction and Ill come back and practice. Im not going to attempt to weld another fuse until I am confident i can do it to airworthy standards. I have a good instructor and if he says I am able to do that then I have confidence I can.

• HI Guys, I just ordered a new tubing kit, so I will be back to building again by August at least and I will be posting as I go.

Comment

Working...
    X