Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johns LSA Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspiring!

Comment

Let me ask you something John while it's on my mind.
      The plans indicate joggles in the center ribs for sure and likely in the rear ribs as well. (there is no call-out in either case)
      This joggles are where the ribs insert into the spars and account for the thickness of the flanges.
      Did you (1) create indents in the form blocks (2) create separate form blocks for the joggles,
      or (3) not bother with the joggles at all, intending to let the skins simply flow over the .032 gap created?
      This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, just curious which way you're going. Thanks!
      Frank Forney
      Englewood CO
      https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
      EAA Chapter 301

Comment

I did not bother with joggles on the ribs. I'm planning to let the skin flow over the joint. If I have to, I'll shim if necessary. Based in my initial fit up, I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Comment

Bearhawk LSA | Scratch Builder John Brannon talks about the TOOLS and PROCESS he used so far to build his Bearhawk LSA Aircraft from Scratch! (From plans). M...

Assuming this is you? I’m starting on my bending brake today, perfect timing.
          Last edited by Bacon; 09-04-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• johnb
            johnb commented
            Editing a comment
            That's me. Good luck with the brake, it was a fun little side project.

Hi guys, got some updates tonight. First, I realized I shared my wing assembly progress on the Facebook group, but didn't share anything here. As of now, I have both wings in the jig, nose and main ribs are riveted, and the trailing edge ribs are drilled. Here are a few progress pictures.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Second update of the night begins with a thank you to fellow forum member Dave Swartzendruber. Dave and I were discussing the aileron hinges a few weeks ago and decided the bearing lug would be a great candidate for CNC machining (and he had access to a machine and was learning to use it). After some modeling and coding, Saturday was the big day. With a few tweaks to get the bore correct to press fit in the bearings we have hinge lug fittings. They were machined 2 lugs at a time, and then cut into separate pieces with a band saw. See in-work and final pictures below.

Dave also had an idea for the hinge "feet" which, per plans, consist of a tube welded to a washer. Dave suggested turning them on a lathe as a single piece. I rounded up some 4130 bar stock, and Dave worked out a machining plan for the parts. After he made a few, he brought me in to help. I had not done any lathe work before, and was eager to learn. With a little instruction from Dave, I was able to help cut some spindles to use as the hinge "feet". Again, some pictures are below.

This was a great experience to see how fellow builders can work together and help each other out, while learning new processes as we go. Thanks Dave!

Keep building...

-John
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 6 photos.
            Last edited by johnb; 10-25-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

John you're doing great! (and making good use of your assistant I suspect)
              Frank Forney
              Englewood CO
              https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
              EAA Chapter 301

Comment

Working...
              X