Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clipped wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipped wing

Has anybody ever toyed with the idea of removing one rib space from each wing of the LSA? Kind of like a "clipped wing" version. My understanding right now is that the LSA likes to float. I am curious what effect this would have on overall performance.

Just my 2¢ worth, but since the LSA has to meet specific FAA guidelines for stall speed as well as max speed at sea level (with max cruise power), I’m sure Bob made every decision quite carefully. With a clipped wing you might exceed the max allowed stall speed at gross weight, or you might exceed the 132 mph max cruise limit at SL and 75% power.

Of course, that only matters if you want to fly it as an LSA (using Sport Pilot privileges). But why else build the LSA over the Patrol?
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I wouldn't say mine "floats" as much as "Glides better than expected" if you are coming from a "Classic" tail dragger like a SuperCub or Champ.. On my first flights, I found myself slipping on short final pretty regularly. Once I had 50 hours in it or so, it became fairly easy to touch down within a few plane lengths of my desired spot and be stopped in under 500' with minimal braking.

Comment

Maybe knock a few mph off your approach speed?

Comment

I too have been entertaining the idea of creating a clipped wing. I don’t care if it stays LSA. I’d rather have a little faster speed and a more solid feel but still want to light airframe and simplicity of the LSA model. The LSA wing is like 6’ longer than a KF speedster. Thinking of dropping two rib bays per side. With no flaps to worry about it seems pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by JimParker256 View Post
            Just my 2¢ worth, but since the LSA has to meet specific FAA guidelines for stall speed as well as max speed at sea level (with max cruise power), I’m sure Bob made every decision quite carefully. With a clipped wing you might exceed the max allowed stall speed at gross weight, or you might exceed the 132 mph max cruise limit at SL and 75% power.

Of course, that only matters if you want to fly it as an LSA (using Sport Pilot privileges). But why else build the LSA over the Patrol?
            With the max speed limitation, I'm sure you can just put the redline right at 120kts regardless of what it's capable of, thought I'd need to dig into the ASTM regs to be sure.
            Somewhat similar to how the carbon cub with 180hp is derated on paper only to 80hp continuous.
            Last edited by zkelley2; 11-30-2020, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, so far, all the "Special Light Sport" aircraft (the "certified" factory-built LSAs) with 180 HP engines have met the "120 knots max cruise speed with max continuous power @ sea level in ISA conditions" requirement by limiting "max continuous power" instead of painting a line on the ASI. Don't think the ASI line would pass muster with the FAA. (Though I'm still surprised that they allowed "LSA" designations on aircraft that can fly at 150 mph all day long by exceeding the bogus "max continuous power" rating..)
              Last edited by JimParker256; 11-30-2020, 03:43 PM. Reason: clarifying "S-LSA"

I know around here nobody is picky about these things... but I think it’s time you get picky..

On other forums/manufacturers sites ...a change like that would mean you couldn’t call it a Bearhawk

Comment

Originally posted by way_up_north View Post
              I know around here nobody is picky about these things... but I think it’s time you get picky..

On other forums/manufacturers sites ...a change like that would mean you couldn’t call it a Bearhawk
              As the bulder you can call it anything you want.

Comment

I think you can limit the speed with prop pitch, which I believe has been done before.

Comment

Last edited by way_up_north; 02-26-2021, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X