Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stringer material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringer material

What alloy are your stringers? I am having a hard time finding stringer material in 6061 alloy. Thanks Ed Welfred
    Patrol (modified)

I used Douglass Fir on my 4-place.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I thought Bob had some extrusions made for this, but I don't see them on his or Mark's sites. Wonder what became of them...
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Ok fine, I'll try to be helpful. A couple years ago I found a source for stringer material that was dimensionally the same as the kit stringers. I'm pretty sure it was 6061. I'll dig though my emails to find it. It was a patio enclosure manufacturer. Enough stringers for my 4-place was like $50 and $200 in freight and basically guaranteed they would arrive bent.

Comment

I like the Fir stringers. Looks "classic" My Maule also has wood stringers.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Here is what I used. I could not find anything I liked better. http://www.univair.com/categories/pi...ank-skins.html

Comment

Mark had some that he could get, or at least I got some from him a few years ago....

Comment

I thought the kitset stringers were made of 5052 (a marine grade of aluminium), so they could be left unpainted and never corrode.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                  Mark Goldberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Recently I had another batch of the stringer material made and learned that the material is 6061 and not 5052 like I had been told by the previous vendor. Mark

Thank you everyone for your input. I can find less ridged alloys but so far no luck on 6061 that is reasonably close to me as shipping is a problem. Wee, your stringers look good, if I can not find 6061 I will consider the wood option. Ed
                Patrol (modified)

Comment

• Ed Welfred
                  Ed Welfred commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mark, if you are shipping a kit anywhere in the north east would you let me know? I can put the stringers on the back burner for quite a while. Ed

Collin Campbell gets the credit for the stuff I was going to use. It is 5/16 x 1 x 0.050" 6063 T6. It is available for the Mason Corp and is called C270 "Center bar"

Comment

Mason is where I used to buy the stringer material. But do not waste your time. They are out of it and will not be making more. I had to get a mill run done at the extruders to obtain more of it. Mark

Comment

Thanks for the extra effort Wee. Knowing that Mark's stringers are 6061 I will not consider any aluminium alloy that is any less rigid. I will put off installing the stringers until the last minute with the hope that Mark can include a set of stringers for me in a kit that is coming in my direction. Ed
                    Last edited by Ed Welfred; 09-15-2017, 08:19 PM.
                    Patrol (modified)

Comment

I used 7/16 window screen material it is light weight and very rigid a lot of the bi plane guys use it

Comment

I have been studying plans trying to visualize how the belly-stringers are installed. How/where are they terminated at the rear?

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                          Mark Goldberg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They can just be bent up aft of the last stringer stand off. Then the ends just disappear. Mark
                      Working...
                      X