Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Scratch" build of #398

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall years ago I did a rough calculation on average build times for scratch-built fuselage, scratch-built wings vs buying quick build components. I figured that I would be working for $2/hr if I built my wings, $10/hr if I built my fuselage. I did buy the QB wings and am glad I did! I would be flying now if I also bought the fuselage,. But I learned so much building my fuselage, the "juice was worth the squeeze". YMMV

Comment

• Russellmn
      Russellmn commented
      Editing a comment
      For me, right now I can swing the $20k or so for the wings, I can't do another $25k or whatever the rest of the kit cost right now. I can cash flow that while building, but I'll have to think pretty hard before I plonk down the extra.

btw: just watched your last couple vids on the paint booth process, looks like it's coming along nicely for ya!

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      Dollars to donuts. The only way to justify scratch building is if you want to make serious modifications to the project. The kits are just so cost effective. Time to get away for this computer & get to work.
Working...
X