Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot cowl at bottom longeron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot cowl at bottom longeron

I’m working towards making my boot cowl and I noticed when you put a straight edge down by the lower longeron it’s not a straight line to the firewall. The boot cowl in this area wouldn’t lay flat. In another post someone had a similar question but the post was never finished. Hopefully in this picture you can see what I’m talking about. Any suggestions. Patrol plan 412 Thanks,
    C54341A0-9465-4028-AB77-974B30B55810.jpeg

HEY Scott, On the LSA there is a former on the diagonal tube near the instrument panel that fairs into the firewall. As for the bottom, the boot cowl aluminum just wraps around the bottom longerons and continues onto the belly at the gear leg intersections. I have made the boot cowl on my LSA once but I plan to redo it.First time was a practice run. I seem to be doing those more than I thought I would.???

Comment

Scott, is the longeron interfering with where the boot cowl should go? I haven't built a Patrol but on the 4-Place the boot cowl is a bridge that spans between the former and the firewall, not making contact with the longeron. If you are getting contact in the middle, could it be that the firewall is out of position vertically?

Comment

I find myself looking for the fuselage former that secures the aft boot cowl. The image is from plans p.17.
        Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 9.46.13 AM.pngIMG_2351.png

Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Good call!!

Comment

Scaling from the plans I believe there is about 1-1/2 from the center of the lower motor mount hole to the outer edge of the firewall and the way I’m remembering the flange on the aft side at the widest point is 1-1/2. The cross braces at station B contact the boot cowl maybe in the bottom 4” the top view photo probably shows it the best. Possibly the boot cowl just molds around this?

840F9F3C-4280-4F6E-A0B8-9FBB47B1E2FB.jpeg
            32CFE6BF-2629-4C65-8E44-7B8DDC1C95C8.jpeg86507BA4-09C8-47C4-AD89-55BC9CE476CE.jpeg

Comment

I found it worked best to get the tunnel secured in place to the mounted firewall and to the bottom former at the aft end of the tunnel. You can then wrap poster board smoothly around all those items. On my quickbuild kit the tabs that were welded on to the lowest boot cowl longeron did not intersect this smoothly wrapped poster board so I didn’t use them.The boot cowl then can be made from the poster board pattern.

Comment

I’ll need to spend a little time playing with this. There is another Patrol not to far away hopefully I can fly in and have another look at it. Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                X