Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol Inboard flap fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol Inboard flap fairing

There is one part of the Patrol that is not too well documented in the plans. It is the inboard side of the flap where it abuts the fuselage. You need one extra flap rib (each side) to make this most inboard part, and a piece of .032 AL which wraps the flap rib and connects (with rivets) to the main part of the flap. You see in the picture how the shape of the .032 turns out more or less. Like in many places, I used cardboard/poster board to simulate the part before cutting any aluminum. What you do is lower the flaps the full 40 degrees. Then you want to set this part up so you have 3/16" to 1/4" of clearance from the rear window acrylic. FYI - Bob says 1/8", but that seemed a little close to me.

I have seen this area dealt with in different ways in the finished Patrols since the detail on the plans is lacking. But this is what Bob had in mind. Can take some more pics if my description is not clear. Mark
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Mark, It would be great if you could take some photos. I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. Thanks
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

John, here's what I did. The pic of the two plates on inside don't show the hole and slot yet for AN3 bolts that will hold the fairing in place. The rear is an arced slot so you can pivot the aft of the fairing to fine tune it with flap on final assembly.
      This gallery has 5 photos.
      Steve Busby
      www.aeroliteflight.ca

Comment

Steve, that's amazing! Your pictures look almost exactly like what I did.

Collin Campbell, Patrol N180PB (still waiting on registration...)

Comment

Here is what I did using the extra flap ribs that come with the kit as mentioned by Mark.:
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
          Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
          http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

I spoke again with Bob yesterday about this "fairing" which might not be the right word. Eric's pictures are exactly what I did. But Bob told me that he didn't use an extra rib. He just wrapped the .032 2024T3 around the flap end side and it has been stiff enough without the rib for 100's of hours of flying. So the extra rib is optional and not needed according to Bob. Mark

Comment

FYI, I did the "fairing" as shown in my post above at the request of my customer. If I was doing it on my own plane I would do the same as Mark and Eric show. Alot easier to fab and install.
              Steve Busby
              www.aeroliteflight.ca

Comment

Originally posted by aerolite View Post
                John, here's what I did. The pic of the two plates on inside don't show the hole and slot yet for AN3 bolts that will hold the fairing in place. The rear is an arced slot so you can pivot the aft of the fairing to fine tune it with flap on final assembly.
                I notice you have an overhang on the fairing to seat against the flap. It's a tidy looking solution.
                I think all the Bearhawk's have the unique flap design which reflexes in flight, including the Patrol? Have you changed something to prevent that happening? I would be really interested to know if there's a fix to that idiosyncrasy.
                Last edited by Battson; 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I am finishing up the wing root fairing on my Patrol. I see in photos like Post #5 and in bearhawk.tips that the fairings are typically pop riveted to the flap after the flap is covered.

But much my fairing is now match drilled to the flap with no fabric. I now realized that the fabric + reinforcing tapes + coatings will change dimensions.. So my match drilled holes will not match up after its covered.

Question. Does anyone forsee problems if I rivet the fairing to the flap today, before it gets covered, then cover the assembly rather than cover the flap then attach the fairing on top of the fabric?

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 9.07.09 AM.png
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                    Mark Goldberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brooks - I do not see any problem covering the flap after attaching this fairing. The only issue might be the smaller gap between the flap and the fuselage side when the flap is all the ways down. But I can't imagine you made that gap so small that the fabric would cause interference. Mark

• Bcone1381
                    Bcone1381 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Mark!
                Working...
                X