Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynon remote compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynon remote compass

To anyone using a Dynon system - where did you locate your remote compass?

Not flying yet, but in wing tip

Comment

In the left wing tip. I mounted it on the second rib in and slightly aft of center to get it away from strobe interference. Works very well.

Comment

That's what I have been thinking. I didn't want to put a connector in the cable at the wing root in case I have to remove a wing in the future. However, I can't think of another option for the compass location.

Comment

My garmin is in the right wing tip. Before closing I made provisions to run the wiring behind the rear spar. My radio shop wanted the wires uncut between the instrument and the magnetometer. It was a pain to run the wiring after the wing is closed and installed on the plane but it can be done. This keeps your landing, nav and strobe wiring away from your compass wiring. I did the same on the left with the Dynon wiring.

Comment

I made a join at the left wing root and used shielded DP connectors. I should be OK as far as the Dynon tech's say. Mounted on a small shelf between the last two ribs at the tip. I am also running the two OAT prob wires through the same shielded cable bundle with the blessings of Dynon too.

Comment

I'm thinking the "Dynon Compass" is not the same as the ADHRS? But the ADHRS is also the compass. We placed ours on a leveled shelf behind the baggage compartment. Easily reached and the frame has not interfered with it's operation. When it comes time to swing it, it's pretty cool. We did the compass rose thing and the darn compass would move around and be correct in only one direction of flight. Tech support told us to go out and fly a slow, gentle 360 degree circle in both directions--WaaLaa, perfect! Some one told me that's how you swing the compass in an I Phone. Just hold it out and move it around in a circle 8 or something. Neat. ;-)

Comment

The dynon adhrs has a magnet sensor, but they also have a remote sensor option .

Comment

• Flygirl1
                  Flygirl1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea,I’m remembering that now. They came out with it right after we bought our Dynon package. I suppose if you could not make it work through the ADHRS location, that would be a solution. A regular compass is on the list of necessary daytime equipment but is it necessary with the Dynon remote?

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I heard about others having trouble and used the remote sensor from the start. My attitude sensors are in the wing root between the fuel tank and the fuselage, which is only a foot or so from the magnets that hold the windows open! Similarly, my skylight cover is held in place with magnets. It is convenient to not have to worry about magnetic fields in the cabin or cockpit area.
              Working...
              X