Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radial engine powered Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial engine powered Patrol

I just learned that a Patrol QB kit builder is intending to hang a new production Warner radial engine on his Patrol. When asked about the weight of this 185 HP engine - Ron said that the engine is supposed to weigh 306 lbs. He is the guinea pig for the first engine installation on this radial. I will post pics and info when I get it. Mark
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Can’t wait to see it!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Maybe in this same thread I should have mentioned the Aussies in Perth that are installing a Mazda rotary engine on their Patrol QB kit. I will send some pics on that unusual installation also. Mark

Comment

That's very exciting! Mark, I know you're not the builder of this aircraft, but please ask the builder to keep us informed about the unusual issues encountered.

Bill

Comment

Radial Engine powered Bearhawk
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Whee, that link doesn’t work without TapaTalk. Can you re-post as a generic URL?
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Monocoupe Aeroplane is proud to announce our "retro fit" kits soon to be available for the Bearhawk Patrol. We are the manufacturer of the new Warner
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

The radial engines have a great sound. I got to fly an hour and a half in the front of a Beech 18. I had a grin ear to ear all the way. The Warner engines look nice. Realistically if a person bought a new Lycoming or Continental of that HP the cost may not be that far apart. Definitely a fun set up.

Comment

Does anyone know if that Warner radial is actually a "product" that is available to purchase/ship today – or is it still a "project" that may or may not come to production? Reading their web site left me with the impression that it was still a "project" that could be 90% complete (with 90% left to go)... I've been watching a LOT of airplane engine projects for a number of years, and the vast majority of those are still in the "project" stage, despite hundreds of thousands (in some cases, millions) of dollars invested.
                  Jim Parker
                  Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                  RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Yes---- THAT will be a good question----- and another one is what actual HP it produces. i think they were claiming 285---- I would guess the "old" 185 was was about 170 hp.
                    At 300 lbs it would need to be at least 220 hp to be competitive I would think---- Then there is the price ------ who really knows how high that will end up going.......
                    They might sell a lot if its not redunkyalious...... the old warners had a very good reputation....

Comment

Working...
                    X