Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grove 60-462

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grove 60-462

Hi guys,

what wheels and brakes are you installing on the patrol?
    Has anyone installed the Grove 60-462??
    do they fit the landing gear as per the plans?
    I was looking at putting the Goodyear 26” wheels on but know some have had problems with the calipers rubbing the wheel, also the rims need to be tubeless.
    I’d be interested to hear what you did. Any help here is appreciated..

cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil! I used Grove 35-6A calipers with 5/8" bore Cleveland master cylinders. I'm currently on 8:50-6 tires. No interference issues. I'm considering bigger Bushwheels, but haven't pulled that trigger yet. It occurred to me that I might have to space the discs a bit, if I go to the bigger tires. I have to say that the big calipers, with the small bore masters, yields awesome brakes! This thing has serious stopping power.

Bill

Comment

I'm not that familiar with the Grove setup, but it's been said that similar things can happen with Clevelands. On the Maules, the problem is often resolved by moving the caliper to the front of the wheel assembly. The way the tire flexes on landing and during braking causes the tires to flex away from the brake calipers in that configuration. Perhaps Battson or someone that operates with really big tires can elaborate?
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris In Milwaukee View Post
        I'm not that familiar with the Grove setup, but it's been said that similar things can happen with Clevelands. On the Maules, the problem is often resolved by moving the caliper to the front of the wheel assembly. The way the tire flexes on landing and during braking causes the tires to flex away from the brake calipers in that configuration. Perhaps Battson or someone that operates with really big tires can elaborate?
        Its common to use a spacer to move the brake disc further away from the wheel, so the tire doesn't touch the caliper.
        7d05e7acfef542333c6c0ebf1f6b2ce9.jpg

Comment

It’s the simple things in life
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I am building a Patrol, and when I ordered my Grove wheels and brakes, I called and talked with Robby Grove. He was familiar with the Bearhawk, and told me what to get. Sorting thru the choices can be information overload.

I think ....
            1) I have the 66-152.
            2) There are single/double puck options, plus Aluminum or magnesium versions.

I wanted to have the option of big tires, so he recommended the double puck version.

But mine are not tubeless. So, I would call and ask Grove your questions and have them validate your thoughts. I assume you want tubeless rims for big tires. If so I think you will want double puck calipers. There may be some 8" wheel options that are now available too.

Here is a link to Grove's 6" wheel/brake packages.
            Last edited by Bcone1381; 04-18-2018, 06:54 AM. Reason: speling
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thank you all,

Correct i think Double Puck are what i need.
              Ill do as suggested and give them a call.

I like the spacer option, "Simple things" haha

Thanks again all.

Cheers,

Phil

Comment

I went with Matco, the ones they recommended are the same as for the RV-10. Its set up a bit different than the Clevelands - the calipers ride on the inner part of the disc instead of the outer part. On my Pacer with Clevelands, I had to make spacers for the brakes so the Blimp tires and 31's wouldn't rub the calipers. On the Matco, I don't think that will be necessary due to the different design. I haven't mounted my 31's yet but it looks like it won't be a problem. The inside caliper is a slightly more complicated design so I expect tire changes to take a few minutes longer than with the Clevelands. The upside is the Matco wheels are so much cheaper than Clevelands, I'm just going to get a second set for my 31's. I have no experience with the Groves.
                Rollie VanDorn
                Findlay, OH
                Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I am also wondering if the Grove 60-462 wheels would be the better fit for the 26" Goodyears. From the few specs online they may be a good substitute for the 66-152.

60-462:
                  - tubeless (o-ring between halves)
                  - 1-1/2" Axles
                  - Static Load Rating 1,750 lbs
                  - Kinetic Energy Rating 270,755 ft-lbs
                  - Kit No. 60-462 — Price: $1,919.00

66-152:
                  - tube only
                  - 1-1/2" Axles
                  - Static Load Rating 1,750 lbs
                  - Kinetic Energy Rating 206,406 ft-lbs

Anybody knows?
                  Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

I went with 66-154’s for my 4-place Bravo. I do wish they came with an O ring. I had ordered tubeless 26 inch tires, but had to then order tubes as well.......
                    Nev Bailey
                    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                    YouTube - Build and flying channel
                    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
                    X