Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap Pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap Pulleys

I have spend the last week making the flap pulley guards and temporarily installed the fuselage part of the flap control system yesterday. The guards were more work than I anticipated. It took me many test pieces to get the tolerances around the pulley right. I also integrated the pulley 1 brace with the pulley guard.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 104701.jpg

Things turned out fine for the most part. I have two pulleys which seem to have a bit of an alignment issue with the cable direction. What's a good way to adjust this?

Pulley 3R towards the front seems to be tilted a bit too much inward:

Screenshot 2021-09-28 104117.jpg

Similar for pulley 4L:

Screenshot 2021-09-28 104037.jpg
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

I did not need pulley guards for the inside upper flap pulleys. Those sit almost flush against the top tube and keeps the cable from jumping out, which is what I think Bob intended.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• noema
      noema commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. The top guard of pulley 3L does not add much. I made it before I realized the fuselage proximity does the guarding.

The cable runs in the upper pulley area you show can handle a good bit of misalignment, there is not constant movement there. The forward pulley run can't accurately be determined without the flap tube in place. The flap tube can be adjusted in or out some to accommodate the cable run.
    If you feel the need to adjust the the pulley angle you can file the tube end to the proper angle and then put a slight bend in the pulley bolt. I did this on one that I welded the the pulley mounts on and the angle was off too much to leave it. Difficult to get it right but that's your only option. With what you show I don't think you will have a problem as is.

Comment

• noema
      noema commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. This makes sense.

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      The pulley can also be adjusted outward a little bit by adding washers under it, or I suppose inward by removing some material from the pulley mount tube.

But when you drill the flap arms, you also set the location of the inboard flap arm. The arm needs to be set so the flap cable and its attach hardware is not contacting the airframe... specifically the wing spar plates, or the attach fittings. If one focuses on the direction that the cable exits the last pulley, and not on the relation of the cable to these points, it might be frustrating.
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-29-2021, 03:36 PM.

Fixed it, thanks for the suggestions. Just moving it axially did not work. I had to angle the pulley axle slightly. I angled the mount tube end with a file and bent the bold slightly. The bend in the bold was small enough that I could still push it through the mounting tube with some grease and light hammering.

Screenshot 2021-10-03 163515.png

The other misalignment on pulley 4L is quite minor after holding the other end of the robe out where the final cable would attach to the torque tube lever. Will see how it looks with the cable installed.

Screenshot 2021-10-03 163550.png
    Last edited by noema; 10-03-2021, 09:50 AM.
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

Working...
    X