Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control Stick Adjustments/Bending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Stick Adjustments/Bending

Hi builders, I have a quick questions about mounting stick grips. I have the Tosten CS-4 and CS-2. To achieve good ergonomics and clearances I need the sticks to come further back as depicted. Has anybody had success bending them. I have a pretty beefy pipe bender that is doing nothing to this stick.

What would you do? Half cut-bend-weld. Or get a hydraulic pipe bender? Heat and bend? Not sure I want to go all the way purpose-build tube bender.

stick_bend.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-20 172054.jpg
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Hello Stefan. I can not remember a Patrol builder who was unhappy with the stick position. One thing comes to mind that I wanted to mention. The stick does need to go UNDER the instrument panel for full forward movement. Maybe you have taken that into account but it is not evident from your pics. Mark

Comment

• noema
      noema commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark, I managed to get the bender to work. Trick was to push both on the bender and on the stock. The reason for bending is partly because the grips angle forward a lot and party personal preference. When I setup the neutral position I had to reach forward just a bit too much. Now I have the front grip 1.5" further back (compared to a straight grip) and it feels ergonomically perfect for my configuration and body size.

6330042A-A37E-46B5-910E-075DE6021971.jpg
    Got it done. Bending worked by also pushing on the stock. Still have a few paint scratches to fix but other than that they fit my configuration perfectly now.

One more question, how are others routing the rear stick cable, if at all?
    Last edited by noema; 05-20-2022, 05:10 PM.
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Does it clear the seat with the seat forward and the stick full back ?

• noema
      noema commented
      Editing a comment
      In my seat position (mid to back) it clears well. Seat all the way forward straight back clears too. Seat forward all back and full aileron I may have a bit of limitation. Although I am basing this on the cutout of the floor panels. I assume actual aileron deflection is a bit less anyways. Will know when I have the wings on.
Working...
X