Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with patrol qb skylight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with patrol qb skylight.

If anyone could share some pictures of their skylight installation, I’d be very appreciative. I’m struggling to see exactly how everything is supposed to go.

I've put some photos below of my skylight, but be aware that mine is customised and not per the plans. I used a full sheet of Acrylic and made additional pieces to clamp the outside edges. So far it has worked very well.

Lexan was initially recommended to me because of its impact strength, so my first attempt was made from Lexan. But it doesn’t play well with many chemicals including loctite and avgas. These cause it to craze and crack, at which point it’s superior strength becomes redundant.

Although I was concerned that the acrylic sheet wouldn’t take the compound curves, it actually went in exactly the same as lexan. I then used a heat gun on it for about 20 minutes to remove the stresses.

7C08A64E-8584-46A9-BB56-8E8FDCAD0EDD.jpg

DCCA486A-B33C-47C4-AB02-CE4BEFF5C07E.jpg

D14D0131-5FB2-46C0-96A5-712A7A56FFFA.jpg
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
      alaskabearhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Just FYI I a bought this lexan coated with TEC-2000. It is impervious to Avgas and pretty much all solvents. I submerged a piece in Avgas overnight with no problems. Some of the protective covering was stuck on the surface because I waited too long to remove it. I used acetone to remove the paper and glue remnants with absolutely no effects on the surface. Amazing stuff… http://www.noxtat.com/products/tec-2...atin/tec-2000/

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      That'd be the business !

skylight3.jpg From the Patrol manual (on USB stick) that Mark sent me...

skylight1.jpg
    skylight2.jpg
    Last edited by DBeaulieu; 03-16-2024, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• Viking
      Viking commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot!! This is exactly as I had envisioned, but as I was looking at the parts I have yet to install, I have 4 pieces of aluminum C channel that were labeled as for the skylight. they are straight, and about 38" long. no idea what they might be for, or how they would be attached to the skylight. I'll just build mine to look like the pictures for now, and put in a call to Mark about those other parts.
Working...
X