Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel tank cross venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank cross venting

I’ve seen some debates over whether or not the fuel tanks should be cross vented, or vented to one another. AC 43.13 says tanks should be cross vented, but the plans don’t call for it. Is this something I should be concerned with? It would be fairly trivial to run a vent line between the tanks, the vents could connect at the top sight glass fitting. Unless anyone has any reasons why it’s a bad idea, I think I’ll add a vent between the tanks. What does everyone think?

image.gif
    Consider adding a cross flow preventing check valve to your cross vent.
    Last edited by whee; 04-07-2024, 11:50 AM.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I suggest, don't bother. The stock system works fine. Unless you cross vent from the outboard end of each tank, full tanks will cross flow when parked on a slope.

Comment

FWIW, I installed a cross vent in mine between the top outboard corners of each tank. I did a seven-part write up in my kitlog and made a short YouTube video. I figured that it was a good concept, but like you said there has been quite a bit of previous discussion on the forum. The bottom line for me was having the redundancy of an air source for the tank in the rare chance the tiny vent hole in the fuel cap becomes blocked or obstructed. http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=280695&row=20

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
          Viking there has already been EXTENSIVE discourse on this subject.

I suggest reviving one of the old threads, if you want to discuss further. There isn't much left to say, which hasn't already been written down.

Comment

I decided to skip it. Thanks guys!!

Comment

Working...
            X