Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baffle seal around flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffle seal around flywheel

I’m stuck trying to complete baffles around the front vertical portion around flywheel. Would anyone care to share their experience?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Are you using the Van's baffle kit? I used it for my IO-540 and found that I had to add height to the baffle around the flywheel. I will include some photos later today.

Comment

Like Rod I used the Van’s kit and had to add AL to the front baffles.

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

80A08968-4327-45D0-A53F-D986BDCE7AB0.jpg 621A8580-375D-417C-93D2-B6302865AE3C.jpg A07E1C38-F33F-4C5C-8669-F2030337D179.jpg ​ Not Vans. 100% custom.

Having trouble keeping the pictures on the topic. Had them posted yesterday but see they weren’t on today.
        The first picture was taken last winter. I removed the cooler from the front port side of the baffling and moved it to the firewall. Redid the area. Picture 2 and 3 are from 8-9 years ago when I was building the plane.
        Last edited by Steve W; 08-11-2024, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Here's some photos Steve. Basically the baffling is a three sided box around the flywheel. The Van's kit leaves the inlet tunnels open at the top sealed to the upper cowling with baffle material. I decided to close that in. I formed lips in the boot cowl inlets that mate with the carbon inlet extensions. The 3/16th gap gets sealed with a piece of innertube. That's not the standard way to do it but I think it should get most of the inlet air to the engine.

DSCF2478.jpg DSCF2479.jpg DSCF2480.jpg DSCF2482.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I’m using the silicone material for the seal and I’m happy with the resulting seal except for the area around the spinner boss. I can’t envision a way to provide a solid seal. Might be time to do the best I can and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by ttibc@msn.com View Post
              r the area around the spinner boss..
              I need a photo to understand the area of concern.

Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

IMG_0794.jpg IMG_0792.jpg Here are some pics from the front of my Patrol. If you order the VAN’s RV-8 baffle kit you need to add some to the height to make it fit a Patrol cowl. I also created two custom fiberglass pieces which provide a nice ramp to the baffle material mounted on the front cowl.
                IMG_0793.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X