Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N509RF, plans 509, kit 005, engine IO-540

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk 4-Place N509RF, plans 509, kit 005, engine IO-540

Here are some photos of Bearhawk N509RF, shamelessly re-posted from elsewhere on the forum.

Last edited by Battson; 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM.

This was the demonstration aircraft for the Phoenix area, built by Jim Clevenger in Kissimmee, FL. One of the first kits assembled in 2004. I bought it in 2006 as suggested by my wife since we were having a difficult time visualizing the plans while we were building our kit which turned out to be 924PL. We flew it all over for several years and gave numerous demonstration flights to interested BH builders. The right shock strut collapsed during landing in May, 2012 due to internal and external corrosion in the airfoil shaped aluminum lower half. Rebuild finished in 2014 after engine sudden stoppage inspection, new prop and numerous mods. Sold to a famous Canadian in 2019. 509 had an aerobatic prop which I truly miss. The registration has changed and 509 doesn’t exhist.

Scott Williamson

Comment

I fly a Bearhawk built by Jim Clevenger. I understand that he built at least two. ...but some of this story doesn't fit with what I've been told. Mark G himself has said that his 4 place (now Jared's) and mine (N916JC) were the first two kits and mine didn't fly until 2006. N509RF can still be found in the FAA database. It lists as manufactured in 2004 by "FURLONG ROBERT", who's intitials match the tail number. I see a lot of similarities in the panel and fuel system, so I'm sure there was some influence between the two planes. I know mine was not among the first kits to _FLY_. It is reported to be one of the first two kits created. Was N509RF maybe not built by Clevenger? Maybe Clevenger paused work in 6JC to work in 9RF and then Mr. Furlong finished 9RF?
      Last edited by kestrel; 08-24-2023, 09:37 PM. Reason: "NOT" among the first to fly

Comment

Interesting seeing these old Bearhawks. Mine is fuselage #6. I was thinking Jim Clevenger’s was a darker blue.

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to see you're still active in the community Dave - you are one of the original names I recall from over a decade ago.

Originally posted by Dave Roberts View Post
        Interesting seeing these old Bearhawks. Mine is fuselage #6. I was thinking Jim Clevenger’s was a darker blue.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I just noticed that the picture above of N509RF's panel shows the airspeed and altimeter swapped from the standard "6 pack" layout.

Comment

I’m trying to follow the group a little more. I do enjoy the group. It’s been quite awhile since my airworthiness certificate was issued in 2007. The bearhawk has right at 1000 hours. It would have a lot more, but I have a Super Cub that gets about 100 hours a year too.

Comment

I’m trying to follow the group a little more. I do enjoy the group. It’s been quite awhile since my airworthiness certificate was issued in 2007. The bearhawk has right at 1000 hours. It would have a lot more, but I have a Super Cub that gets about 100 hours a year too.
              It's always great to hear from you Dave! I've added a thread for your plane here:
              Dave reports having 1000 hours on his Bearhawk in Montana. 1460 pounds empty, 540 engine, SN 06-9/10-117, Flying since 2007

Comment

The bearhawk has right at 1000 hours. It would have a lot more, but I have a Super Cub that gets about 100 hours a year too.
                ...and that's what I'm talking about when I mentioned that I don't get to fly as much as some people.

Comment

I’m pretty lucky that the life I live requires a lot of flying. We fly at least every other day throughout the spring and summer here on the ranch.
                  We are planning on another ice cream flyin in August. It usually turns into about a 3 day fly in. I’ll try to keep you posted, if anyone might be interested. I’m in eastern Montana.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
                    alaskabearhawk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had your BH in my wallpaper image rotation on my FAA computer before I retired. Beautiful aircraft..
                Working...
                X