Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BH O-540 Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BH O-540 Cooling

I had a engine cooling breakthrough on my Bearhawk with a O-540 running 10-1 pistons.

During Airventure 2018, while walking by the Lycoming tent, there was an immaculate F-1 racer in front without the cowling with an engine similar to mine. The owner was talking to someone about cooling and how the beautiful fiberglass induction plenum did nothing to improve the cooling but the curved sheet metal transition to the firewall and tunnel did and made all the difference in the world. I did not take pictures, should have but didn’t.

That idea incorporated to my installation significantly improved my CHT by 20 degrees. No louvres in the cowling.

For example, two minutes after takeoff with 90 degrees F, max power, the CHT on cylinders 5 & 6 would be 422. Same conditions with the modification temperatures are 402.

Those are worst conditions: slow speed, high power with fuel enrichment valve open. In all other regimes of flight, temperatures are nominal.

Additionally, the exhaust was moved as far to the sides as possible and all pipes, ducting, cables were re-routed to clear the area under the cylinder cooling exhaust air.

The transition from the firewall to the tunnel needs softening so the cooling air smoothly enters the tunnel. Anything impeding the air creates turbulence and correspondingly forms a wall stifling airflow.

Hope this helps. I have a friend with a BH and cooling issues yet to adapt the mod. Let’s see how he does. Did not ask permission to use his name (rhymes with Smokey). 509 still for sale.

Scott Williamson N509RF & N924PL
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

I made a similar lower fairing for my RV-7 that resulted in similar CHT reductions. Cleaning up that exit airflow makes a difference.
    Scott Ahrens
    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

delete............
      Last edited by bearhawk2015; 05-24-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I also put a lip at the sharp edge of the firewall-tunnel junction, but mine was much smaller, about 1" in radius. My temps were fantastic, 300F to 350F, sometimes lower (160C to 180C). Almost too cold at times.

So cold in fact, that I added electronic ignition and closed up the cowl outlet a lot - I probably have one of the smallest cowl outlets of any Bearhawk now, with the cowl flaps closed. You can find photos on this forum. Temps are now in the 350F to 400F range (180C to 200C), which is a smidgen hotter than ideal, but at least I know its under my control. Easy to open the cowl flaps and lower temps back to 300F to 350F (160C-180C).

Extended full power climbs are hard though, always have been. I used to have maybe 5 minutes at full power before I hit 400F (200C), now its more like 3 minutes.

Comment

I made one of these. I read that the RV guys do this with decent benefit.

This gallery has 1 photos.
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

That radiused exit ramp was standard in my RV-8 kit back in the day. I suspect it is the same in all of the other RV models (well, the non-Rotax ones) as well. I never had any cooling issues whatsoever and I had a closely cowled angle valve IO-360 in there.

I plan on making one for my 4pl Bearhawk as I have an O-540 for it.

-------------------
            Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
            Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
            RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I am making an effort to clean up the exit area of my Patrol. The Vans airbox has a vertical lip which obstructs the out flow so I cut it off and flanged a piece of angle and attached it to the bottom of the box plate. Every bit should help.
              Steve W P203
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

How did you guys attach the upper end of the exit ramp to the firewall? It looks like the RV8 is riveted but the few pics i see of BHs are not.

Comment

It was riveted on my RV-8, and that is what I will do on my BH. I have no idea how you could do it otherwise...

-------------------
                  Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
                  Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
                  RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Mruffatto View Post
                    How did you guys attach the upper end of the exit ramp to the firewall? It looks like the RV8 is riveted but the few pics i see of BHs are not.
                    I didn't attach it at the upper end.
                    I just screwed it on at the bottom using the cowl tunnel screws. I sealed the top edge with some RTV and a finger to get a smooth finish.

Comment

Working...
                    X