Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel landing 4place b model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel landing 4place b model

I am getting ready to scratch build a b model, but before I do I had what for me is an important question. I really enjoy doing wheel landings for fun. (Don’t ask why, I just really like them.) Can any one comment on how well the b model does regular wheel landings? Thanks.

It will wheel land just fine, but there isn't any need to. You'll use more runway, and wheel landings are much more demanding of pilot technique. One main reason cited for doing wheel landings is better control authority for crosswinds or gusts. For some airplanes, this is important. But Bob's airplanes have solid and highly effective controls all the way to the stall. Another often cited reason is over the nose visibility, which is also not a real factor for us.

Sometimes we do things because they are hard. This is why I took up unicycling. But the main reason to wheel land a Bearhawk is if you want more challenge or to demonstrate your fine control of the airplane, especially in pitch. In that sense it is a good training demonstration maneuver, like steep turns.

Some reasons in favor of 3-ponit:
    Less energy to get rid of, less runway needed
    Less time exposed to the directional control high workload, and pitch during the flare. Less pilot workload frees up pilot bandwidth for other tasks
    Better prop clearance
    Less tire and wear probably

Comment

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      Respectfully, I disagree with the points raised here, Jared But I think it's a different thread

• Gerd Mannsperger
      Gerd Mannsperger commented
      Editing a comment
      I am with Battson below very much disagree on your points. Many planes gets wrecked unnecessary just because of that line of thinking.

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Gerd, I welcome the disagreement, though I would especially value a more substantive explanation.

A con to 3 point landings is that you'll eventually loose/damage beyond usability your tailwheel playing off airport. Which then will necessitate a wheel landing and a tail up taxi to a stop. Which is a nice trick to have in your bag when you need it.

Comment

Personally, for off airport and demanding locations, I have always done tail low wheel landings and then rolled up to a level attitude while braking. For me, I land shorter and more precisely on the spot. Forward visibility afforded by the wheel landing is critical, especially on 31s. Because practice makes perfect, I wheel land 90 percent of my landings. As stated above, it's also much easier on your tailwheel/airframe. Cessna 180, Super Cub, Rans S7, and now my Patrol. You're going to get all opinions on this one. I've not flown a B model but it has the same wing and gear as the Patrol and I find it to be a great wheel landing airplane. I imagine the B model wheel lands very well.
      Mike
      Last edited by m.mooney; 08-22-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        A tail-low wheel landing on 31s is probably about the same AOA as a 3-point on small tires.

The new airfoil may have a different stall characteristic, which would effect a three point landing, but should not have any effect on a wheel landing.

I like wheel landings because they are fun and a challenge. I also like firm controls and the ability to fly it right onto my desired spot.

Comment

Originally posted by m.mooney View Post
        Personally, for off airport and demanding locations, I have always done tail low wheel landings and then rolled up to a level attitude while braking. For me, I land shorter and more precisely on the spot. Forward visibility afforded by the wheel landing is critical, especially on 31s. Because practice makes perfect, I wheel land 90 percent of my landings. As stated above, it's also much easier on your tailwheel/airframe. Cessna 180, Super Cub, Rans S7, and now my Patrol. You're going to get all opinions on this one. I've not flown a B model but it has the same wing and gear as the Patrol and I find it to be a great wheel landing airplane. I imagine the B model wheel lands very well.
        Mike
        I've found takeoff to be more damaging to aircraft than landings to be honest. Usually when heavy... which is almost always. It takes some time to get the tail up and so it takes far more damage taking off than landing where you can just hold it in the air indefinitely.

Comment

Bearhawk wheel lands just fine. Excellent rudder.

Comment

A skilled and proficient pilot will use both wheel and three-point landings as required by the conditions and environment. That is the final word on the discussion between wheel vs three point landings (which is not the question the OP asked!)

The Bearhawk is a pleasure to wheel land and three point. I use both most times I go flying.

Comment

Thanks. I use both as well, just prefer wheelies.

Comment

Working...
              X